The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Hip Radiographs

Default Hip Radiographs

Hope it attached this time. What are the thoughts on these hips. He does need to go to the bathroom.

Dan

image.jpg

His thigh bones are really bowed…never seen any like that. The right joint doesn't look right--he may be slightly rotated because you can't see both tips of the pelvis in the x-ray. I would try for better placement with another x-ray.

Meredith

Did you shoot these?

They look good, but what I know.

The legs look splayed (knee caps off to the side), maybe they'd look excellent if you straighten them.
    Renee P

Here are the reference x-rays on the OFA page

http://www.offa.org/hd_grades.html

Here is the brief story to these x-rays. We always see the the 2 year old with asking opinions if they will pass.

However, these x-rays are of my old man which will be 14 years old in February.

He was out yesterday playing with a couple of the younger ones with a bumper and was ran into from the side. This dislocated his left hip. Luckily when I picked him up it popped back into joint but at the vet, which takes my OFA's, we took 2 x-rays just making sure. He couldn't believe with a dog of his age that there only appeared to be one very small spot even possible arthritis. He was not put out we just laid him out to get the shot. Today he is sore and having a lot of problems cocking the leg for the number 1.

Never been one to believe in putting the old ones locked up in the house. He runs behind the 4 wheeler everyday and has been hunting 4-6 times this fall. He has only had one set back which was in June. He was one of 2 dogs which stumbled around live drunken IDIOTS for 2 weeks after applying ACTIVYL flea and tick medication. However, after Meds he is back to normal but the other one died.

YEP , never would have guessed they were from a 14 yr old!!! as deep and round a socket and as well seated as I have seen
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Have you ever had this dog's hips rated by OFA? What did they give him?
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Have you ever had this dog's hips rated by OFA? What did they give him?
    As a 2 year old he was excellent. The current vet said he felt it would still be possible if we were going to send in x-rays. Of course he would take better pics. He has taken the OFA's on the last 3 dogs and all came back excellent. One he did shoot about 12 times before he liked the x-ray. He has yet had to put one of mine out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    As a 2 year old he was excellent. The current vet said he felt it would still be possible if we were going to send in x-rays. Of course he would take better pics. He has taken the OFA's on the last 3 dogs and all came back excellent. One he did shoot about 12 times before he liked the x-ray. He has yet had to put one of mine out.
    Thank you, Dan. It is nice to know that he OFA evaluations are accurate. I'm new at all this, trying to make sense of it all!
    Renee P