The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Howard Neimi...

Dedeye, it's been a rough year for the Alaska Working Retriever Club. Three legends have gone....

My story with Howard is so similar to others that have posted. Being "pioneers" of RTF (AKA old guys), I have had many discussion online with him, private and public. All of them positive. When I finally had the chance to meet him, it was like old home week.

In the few times I have won a Blue ribbon, I always had a "Atta Boy" posting on the Events page from Howard, always with those huge Blue letters. How I enjoyed getting those!

Since my 63rd birthday is this month, this one hits me hard. It does cause me to pause and reflect. Am I one of the "Good guys"? Have I treated those in our game with the same respect and courtesy that Howard showed us all? Our game, whether it's HT or FT can be very harsh, sometimes bordering on mean. Judges are talked about behind their back, contestants are accused of sandbagging, dogs performances rooted against, etc, etc. People on RTF fire off posts that are ill advised and mean tempered. I regret to say that I have done all of these things.
    Idle time at field trials, hunt tests and yes, on the computer can lend itself to negativity. I plan on remembering Howard by being more like him in the months ahead. I hope that you will honor his death in whatever way you choose, but I choose to be nicer to all of you..... Rest in Peace, Howard.....
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    Dedeye, it's been a rough year for the Alaska Working Retriever Club. Three legends have gone....

My story with Howard is so similar to others that have posted. Being "pioneers" of RTF (AKA old guys), I have had many discussion online with him, private and public. All of them positive. When I finally had the chance to meet him, it was like old home week.

In the few times I have won a Blue ribbon, I always had a "Atta Boy" posting on the Events page from Howard, always with those huge Blue letters. How I enjoyed getting those!

Since my 63rd birthday is this month, this one hits me hard. It does cause me to pause and reflect. Am I one of the "Good guys"? Have I treated those in our game with the same respect and courtesy that Howard showed us all? Our game, whether it's HT or FT can be very harsh, sometimes bordering on mean. Judges are talked about behind their back, contestants are accused of sandbagging, dogs performances rooted against, etc, etc. People on RTF fire off posts that are ill advised and mean tempered. I regret to say that I have done all of these things.
    Idle time at field trials, hunt tests and yes, on the computer can lend itself to negativity. I plan on remembering Howard by being more like him in the months ahead. I hope that you will honor his death in whatever way you choose, but I choose to be nicer to all of you..... Rest in Peace, Howard.....
    Exactly what I was talking about.....thanks
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by DEDEYE View Post
    Click here for our club link. Our President wrote a beautiful letter and I wanted to share it:

http://alaskaworkingretrieverclub.com/
    Thanks Mary Very fitting indeed. More tears!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Well said Tim.

I never met Howard, I never spoke with him.

I do know that I got lots of advice from him, and that he was one of the kindest people on RTF--really, one of the kindest people on the internet. I don't have any "real" connection to him and those who know him, so I am almost embarrassed to feel like I do and share it, because it pales against how his "people" must be feeling.

But I feel sad. This makes me very sad.

My condolences to those who knew him well. I am sure you feel deep sorrow at his loss, and I wish you ample opportunity to remember the joy of having known him.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Nice post Tim.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Gosh, I have to say that all the posts here are really overwhelming.. I knew people here admired and respected him, but I didn't really KNOW how much he touched their lives.. This is amazing and I thank you all for sharing...

Howard is probably having himself a fit over all the fuss!
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

I had the pleasure of meeting Howard at a Rorem seminar in TX. He was funny and welcomed us "hunt test" folks in to the circle. I didn't get a chance to cross his path again and that is my loss. I am sorry for this great loss but Howard left a very nice "foot print" in the retriever community and on some very special hearts I am sure. God Speed Howard and sure you are running a kick ass FT for our Lord to watch.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post

Great post Tim. Emulating Howard would be good therapy for us all

One more picture of Howard taken training on a cold day in February in Palmer, Alaska.
    20130302_13.jpg