The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Howard Neimi...

My condolences to all his friends and family. I can't believe Howard has left us. I so enjoyed his comments on RTF and I was lucky enough to meet him when he came to California one winter to run trials. What a nice, nice man 'who practiced what he preached'!!
    He will be missed by many.
    Suzanne Burr

Wow, I only knew Howard from here, but he seemed to be a genuinely great guy.

Godspeed Howard
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

This is a shock. I am very sorry for those who were close to Howard. I did not know him well personally ... only through conversations here.

He was serious and passionate about the primary mission of RTF ... that of training retrievers. His personal successes along with his willingness to help and encourage others, whether newcomers or old-timers, earned my respect and admiration. He never hesitated to share and explain his opinions. Most importantly, he could disagree with others without being disagreeable.

I have never felt the internet is the best place to make real friends, but I don't know how anyone could not like Howard just from his presence here. I will miss his contributions and again, my condolences to those who were close to him.

Thanks, Howard.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Rest in peace Howard for your spirit will remain alive in Alaska!!! Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Hello again.. Howard's celebration of life will be held this Sunday. An awesome printout of all your posts has been made for the family by a friend of ours from Fairbanks. They are in awe that Howard had so many friends, and are grateful that he had all of you and RTF in his life..

All the dogs are doing well, and adjusting. Howard will be hanging out from above this Sunday, having himself a stroke over all the fuss.. He wasn't a fan of that sort of thing!

-Mary
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Default Howard's obituary

A friend emailed me that Howard's Obituary was posted online. Here is the link: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...&pid=167990240

The text is copied below:

Howard Niemi

Anchorage resident Howard Niemi died November 2, 2013 at his home. He was born on May 6, 1949 in Anchorage to Wayne and Mildred Niemi. He graduated from West High School in 1967. Howard enlisted in the Marine Corps right after high school and served for five years in Vietnam and SE Asia. He attended UAF when he returned to Alaska. Howard worked for Holiday Inn, The Bethel School District and for the State of Alaska at McLaughlin Youth Center. Howard's passion in life was training dogs. He ran sled dogs for several years and then began training retrievers.

Howard was an avid, and very accomplished retriever trainer, titling several dogs and qualifying his retrievers for many National Competitions in the sport of AKC Field Trials. He was also very active with the local retriever clubs, including serving many years of hard work as a Board member for The Alaska Working Retriever Club. Howard was a pillar of the Alaskan Retriever Community.

Throughout the years in his sport, he acquired several training partners who he considered to be family, and they in turn felt the same about him. He was very successful in his breeding program to better the breed, following the offspring and their success with great pride.

Howard was a very caring and giving person, always willing to go the extra mile for anyone who asked. He was easy-going and very generous with his time and conversation. He was nationally known in retriever circles as a go-to person for advice, for which he never asked anything in return. He willingly shared his knowledge. Howard was a gift who will be dearly missed by his friends and family.

Howard is survived by his cousins, Paul Erickson, Karin Stringer, Jeanne Mee, their families, many good friends, and his three labrador retrievers. A Celebration of Life for Howard will be Sunday, November 17th between 4:00 - 7:00 p.m. at the home of Paul Erickson at 18029 Kamkoff Avenue in Eagle River.

Published in adn.com from Nov. 14 to Nov. 15, 2013

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...#storylink=cpy
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

So wish I could attend the Celebration of Life for Howard on Sunday. Unfortunately, distance and expense will not allow that to occur. My heart and thoughts will be there. I wish comfort to all of us that knew and cared deeply for Howard. He is sorely missed by so many.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Rest well, Howard. Deepest condolences to the family, and to all who had the privilege of knowing him.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

I thought about Howard and the Celebration of Life yesterday. I'm sure there were memories shared with the family and friends that gathered.

Like Mary has said, Howard would probably down play his importance to the Retriever Community and all the attention he has been given now that he is gone. But, that attention and accolades, but they are well deserved.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Last night was a wonderful time at his Celebration Of Life. I just wanted to share with you that a couple of our pals from Fairbanks Retriever Club mad this book from the posts here for the family and his training partners.. Thanks everybody for contributing image.jpg
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!