RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Howard Neimi...

41K views 200 replies 162 participants last post by  Vicky Trainor 
#1 ·
It is with a heavy heart that I am posting this news. My dear friend Howard passed on this week at home. He was an amazing person and one of my dearest friends.

All of his close friends and relatives have been notified, so now I am passing the news on to the retriever community. All of you know how hard working he was, what an accomplished trainer, and what a giving person he was with his knowledge. He worked hard to keep our sport going in Alaska, and helped many a new trainer get their start. I can remember when he first took me under wing, he would come to this site and complain about how terrible I was in the chat room!

The retriever community has lost a great man, and I am so sorry to have to share this. I do not know when the service will happen. This news just came today. But I will try to keep you all informed. He would certainly not want a big fanfare. His dogs are all being taken care of...

Howard, may you find plenty of awesome fields with a certain leaf or branch hanging down to put a blind under! You know, the one gold one that's waving in the wind next to the tuft of yellow grass. You brought much joy to me and your training partners. I will see you again someday!

-Mary

See less See more
#28 ·
Just saw this over on FB and I'm still shocked. Howard was one of the posters here that I always clicked on a thread when I saw he had posted because you knew he was going to pass on some wisdom. I had the chance to chat with him via FB a few times about breedings or he'd ask if I knew how one of his pups was doing. Such a good guy and a damn good trainer. You will be missed Howard.

#30 ·
I Had only known Howard for a few years, he was one heck of a guy. Definitely a wealth of knowledge when it came to training retrievers. He had a true love for the game and it showed everytime you would watch him run his dogs. He will leave a void here in Alaska and through out the retriever community. RIP Howard

#37 ·
I guess GOD needed a true helper in dark times, RIP, and thanks to your contribution to your fellow man and dog .

It is possible to miss someone you never met.
I'm starting to get poop face on this so the answer to your question....Yes...it's an intuitive thing. He is dog folk and they don't get any better. No more said on my part. I'm going to feel this in the morning......:(

G
#32 · (Edited)
Sitting here in shock rtf won't be the same without you Howard. I always remember our training time in Niland what a fun time. You will be missed.
Your babies will be well taken care of don't worry. prayers sent to all his friends and Fanily
cindy and mark Lowans

#34 ·
Oh no! What a loss. I will miss all the advice he gave me and others. I never met him but liked and respected him.

#35 ·
Really hard to take. It is surprising to tear up over the loss of someone I never met in person, but Howard was the kind of guy to reach out and make a difference to people he never met. It was an honor to communicate with Howard and learn from him. Thanks for being open hearted and reaching out! He will be missed!

Jennifer

#36 ·
This is such sad news. Howard was one of the folks who made RTF a more valuable, more pleasant place. Howard was both generous and tolerant with his knowledge and treatment of others.

I just phoned him a few days ago to ask his opinion on some drills he posted about a while back. He was as generous and kind on the phone as he was in text on this resource.

God Bless You Howard. You will be missed.

Mary are Howard's dogs OK and taken care of?

Chris

#39 ·
Wow!! I am at a loss for words!! Spent many a night visiting with Howard in the old rtf chat
room. Howard was one of the good guys! Talked with him on the phone many times, his advice
and humor will be greatly missed. Mary my heart goes out to you and the rest of the Alaskan Field Trial Retriever community.

RIP my Friend,

Aaron Homburg

#41 ·
My heart is aching right now and the tears are making it hard to continue writing this.

Howard contacted me many years ago about a Trio pup. He had seen the ad I posted in the Retriever Field Trial News. Little did I know that sending a pup all the way to Alaska would bring about a friendship that I cherish. Howard would call me and give me updates on that Trio pup that he named BAM. I remember him teasing me about her name and telling me to ask my active duty Army brother-in-law what B A M stood for with the Devil Dogs- Marine Corp. He got a good laugh when I called him back and told him that I had found out!! He would call me when Bam would win an Am or Open. He let me share the pride when Bam received her FC and AFC titles.

I spoke to Howard a couple of weeks ago and he gave me the latest update on Bam. I can't believe that I won't get to talk to him any more about her or about breeding prospects and training.

What a tremendous loss. Mary, I know how much Howard meant to you. I hope you know that he was proud of you and the accomplishments you made under his tutelage.

I just can't believe this.

#53 · (Edited)
Howard had taken Bam to the vet, and never showed back to get her. Not sure of the time frame but a friend went to do a well being check and found him at home, passed away. So know that one of his last acts was taking care of that pup you sent him Miss Vicky.

Howard had recently taken up rowing, and was tackling that adventure with the same gusto as dog training. When I asked him about it, it was the proper boat for rowing. He was working hard to get in shape.

And yes, he was Very proud of our friend Mary. Howard was actually a very private man. I remember some of the silly pics that Mary posted here on rtf when they both had placed in one of the Alaskan field trials. Mary was hugging on him, etc. He was embarrassed but also loved it.

Howard never took leaving Alaska lightly, and hadn't done so in the past couple of years. Not even to attend a national that he qualified for. Not even when a friend handed him a ticket to go train in Georgia for a winter.

A close friend of his, and training buddy, has his dogs. They are all fine, as Mary said.

a very sad day for rtf, as we have lost a great resource. Howard was only 64. Way too young.

#42 ·
My goodness Mary this is indeed dreadful and shocking news. I will never forget my time with you at North Pole and all the written help Howard has given me over the years. He was truly a kind, generous man so RIP Howard.

#44 ·
This Breaks my heart. We exchanged thoughts about puppies, and he was truly one of the good guys, I am so sorry. Mary, I know how much he meant to you. I am truly sorry.

#45 ·
I hate to hear this... I still remember Howard's first all age placement with a dog named Banjo T Heakin (Banjo). Howard won the Open that day. As Howard has told the story on this forum, I was throwing the long retired bird on the 4th series that day and remember it well. His reaction to the results was all you needed to see to know that he was serious about the sport and his dogs. The emotion was more than "on his sleeve", if you know what I mean... And it was impossible to not be happy for him.

One other great memory of Howard is when my wife and I were dating... She knew nothing about trials, but loved to watch and video etc... One day she was filming while I was attempting a remote cast land blind. My dog was having none of it and after several cast refusals, whistle refusals, rising volume in my voice on the casts, etc... On the video can be heard Howard's voice... "Sherry, I don't think this is one Bill would want you to video". I still have that tape! The only command the dog took on that test was "here"... Over the years we have laughed about Howard's comment so many times...

One last one about Howard... Relating to my wife. I had been single for a few years and was in my mid 30's. Of course I lived in Alaska at that time as well and ran trials. Sherry came to a trial with me when we first started dating and I introduced her to Howard. He says "So, you're Bills new girlfriend eh? Better have your running shoes on". And he walked off. Ha! Guess he wasn't giving her good odds of hanging around long. She didn't know what to think of that. I told her, that's just Howard. One thing about Howard, he said what was on his mind.

Rest in Peace Howard.

#46 ·
I'm stunned.....no better word to describe it. I enjoyed Howard thoroughly, his knowledge and generosity in sharing his experience. And he made me laugh too, with his wry sense of humor and perspective of this crazy dog game.

Mary, I'm sorry, I know how close you were. My condolences to Howard's friends and family - and the greater Alaska/Pac Northwest retriever community as well. RTF has lost one of it's brighter lights......

#47 ·
The retriever world lost a very good man,I regret not getting a chance to meet the man in person. His personality and willingness to help new people on the RTF will be a void that wont be replaced anytime soon

RIP HOWARD

#49 ·
This is terrible news!

Howard was a great guy. I had a chance to spend some time training with him several yaers ago when he was Wintering in S Louisiana training in the spillway. He offered me some handling tips that I've never forgotten. He was always willing to help. In fact, the SLRC was having their Winter club trial and there was Howard helping and throwing birds. He didn't even have a dog entered!

RIP Howard.

#52 ·
I my Lord, I am so sorry to all . I liked him here on RTF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.