RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Howard Neimi...

41K views 200 replies 162 participants last post by  Vicky Trainor 
#1 ·
It is with a heavy heart that I am posting this news. My dear friend Howard passed on this week at home. He was an amazing person and one of my dearest friends.

All of his close friends and relatives have been notified, so now I am passing the news on to the retriever community. All of you know how hard working he was, what an accomplished trainer, and what a giving person he was with his knowledge. He worked hard to keep our sport going in Alaska, and helped many a new trainer get their start. I can remember when he first took me under wing, he would come to this site and complain about how terrible I was in the chat room!

The retriever community has lost a great man, and I am so sorry to have to share this. I do not know when the service will happen. This news just came today. But I will try to keep you all informed. He would certainly not want a big fanfare. His dogs are all being taken care of...

Howard, may you find plenty of awesome fields with a certain leaf or branch hanging down to put a blind under! You know, the one gold one that's waving in the wind next to the tuft of yellow grass. You brought much joy to me and your training partners. I will see you again someday!

-Mary

See less See more
#83 ·
When I wrote on RTF about losing my big dog, Howard sent me a most touching PM. He didi not know me from Adam, but reached out to me knowing I was hurting. THAT, is a good human being.

As much as I enjoy meeting the good people of the dog world, saying goodbye to them is very, very hard.

Miss Mary, I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend and mentor, and to those of you fortunate enough to have known and trained with him too.

#84 ·
I was shocked and saddened to hear about Howard.

I only met him once at the Alaskan workshop Lardy and I gave a few years ago. I was really impressed by Howard and totally enjoyed him.

Of course, RTFers know how much he contributed here and it was always helpful, thoughtful and based on experience. I rank his replies among the very best! He proved himself to be a very good dog man in competition and a true gentleman in life!

Howard probably didn't think about how much he was respected nor how much he will be missed.

I will take my dogs for a quiet walk today in memory of Howard.

#90 ·
I never had the pleasure of meeting Howard, but have always enjoyed his posts. God Bless, Howard, many prayers for the family and friends.

#92 ·
Oh Howard. I still can't find the right words. We're going to miss you so bad buddy. Thank you for the privilege of enjoying your killer wit and learning from your training wisdom.
Mary, God Bless You. I know mentoring you and watching you succeed had to be one of the best experiences of his life.

#93 ·
Godspeed to u Howard. I met Howard while judging at Turnigan Pass this summer, great guy and very quick wit. Placed second in Am. and won the Derby. Just talked to him on the phone about a month ago. I know all his ft friends everywhere will miss him. RIP Howard.

#94 ·
I never had the pleasure of meeting Howard but as everyone has said... I learned a lot from reading his posts here on RTF. I am so sorry for this tragic loss for his family and friends.

#95 ·
I also never had the pleasure of meeting him but I enjoyed his posts and knowledge. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP

#97 ·
Those who will miss him most are the competitors. He always brought a well trained dog ready for the level of competition entered. The Alaska folks are fast losing examples to emulate.

Over the years we exchanged PM's when Howard needed a clarification of some comment I had made. At trials we would talk, I appreciated having him as a fellow competitor & knew him before Pricey. Sometimes we don't spend enough time with someone feeling they will be here forever.

RIP Howard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#99 ·
Someone else said it better, how can you be so heartbroken over someone you never met? He loved to give me grief about having Chesapeakes, but never in a mean way. He had that gift, I think; of making you feel like a good friend he valued and respected and was so generous in sharing training tips and encouragement. Our retriever community lost a good one.

#101 ·
Howard was a a fine example to all of us. Generous, witty and always a gentleman. I always read any thread he started or posted on looking for the next nugget of knowledge or humor that he might contribute. I was never disapointed. I will miss his presence on this forum greatly.

My condolences to his family and close friends for their loss.

Godspeed Howard!-Paul

#102 ·
So sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed reading Howard's posts on here and had hoped to meet him in person someday:(. I guess we will meet over the rainbow bridge. RIP Howard. Your RTF family will miss you dearly

#105 ·
Well, that is very sad to hear. I think my training group was the first one Howard joined in Ak. He learned quick and rose to the top as a trainer and handler. God bless you Howard..RIP.................Bill

#107 ·
I've only known Howard a few years but long enough to admire, respect and appreciate him a great deal. And long enough to tell him to put a cork in it when he told me every mistake I made! He's obviously so well loved and respected here in Alaska and outside, he's made such an impression on so many people and the sport. I appreciate his honesty and giving of his knowledge and time to me as a youngster in the game. And I most respect his humility and love for the dogs like no one else.

His dogs are all well, they miss their dad. I'm sad for their loss as well, they lost their person.

It's windy as hell here today in Anchorage, I bet he's brewing up a storm for us.
Sarah

#108 ·
Howard was a very caring person. I am sure all the retriever community will find this news with a very heavy heart. I am sure there is a special place in heaven for him.

He will be missed by many!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.