The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less food or different formula?

Default Less food or different formula?

My dogs have always been healthy and fit on Euk 30/20 premium performance. Have tried the "latest, greatest" a time or two, but always go back. Now that my oldest is officially retired @ 8.5 years, he is not getting near as much exercise. Same for the 5 year old. They get a scant 3 cups a day. Feeding any less would seem like starving them! I definitely see the older gaining weight. If I change to a lower octane formula like Euk adult can he have a little more food without getting fat? They still get daily walks and romps, just not 4 weekly field work days. As winter fills in they will get even less as walking areas and daylight will be limited. Any thoughts? Please, no ads for your favorite brand. We will stick with Euk.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Why not just feed them less of the Euk? The fat is supposed to help them feel full. If you go to a less calorically dense food, most likely it will have less fat, and the dog might feel hungrier on the same number of calories. On the other hand, no harm in experimenting.

My older dog eats just 2 cups per day, which keeps her around 60-65 lbs.
    Renee P

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

How about feeding a bit less but adding your own "filler" like brown rice, pumpkin, or other fruits and veggies? That way they think they are being spoiled instead of deprived.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Banned

You are better off with older dogs to lower the fat content with a food with less rather than feeding less of a food with high fat. Think about the math insofar as protein is concerned. Let's assume a food is 100 grams per cup. If you feed two cups of a 30/20 the dog will get 60 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat. If you use Euk Labrador or the Large Breed formula and use 3 cups the dog will get 70 grams of protein and 39 grams of fat. That to me is a better way to feed an aging or less active dog, especially labs cause they do plump up pretty quick. Other breeds like most of the upland dogs you have to pray for them to hold weight sometimes. If you find they still gain weight then, Royal Canin's 30/11.5 for Labradors is the way to go. The protein differential to fat helps keep them lean. Euk Large Breed Senior is another one with good protein levels and lower fat.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 11-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Look at the calorie counts too. If you know what amount of food keeps them at the weight you want, and you decide to switch foods, give the same amount of calories and then adjust a bit as needed.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I always recommend raw feeding, but if they are getting fat and you don't wasn't to starve them, i like to add pumpkin to the food. Lean raw chicken also does the trick. My male doesn't like pumpkin, but he eats it just fine mixed with his raw diet lol

This is really an easy answer. No reason to starve the older dog with less food. Feed an adult or Sr. formula keeping the protein up and the fat lower. Eukanuba makes a whole line of products for just this purpose.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

My friend had Goldens that were over weight. Her vet recommended mixing in green beans and using less food. Worked for them, a slow progressive weight loss.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Though I like the idea of filling in with vegetables and such, I am afraid I might lose some of the vital nutrients. I am going with Mike B's idea and using the Euk Adult. Seems adequate for all three through the winter, and then if need be come spring I can put the young one back on PP.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Cut em back and give em green beans. Been doin it for years for my older male...if not he'd look like a 55 gallon drum on toothpicks or he'd starve to death. Green beans fill em up and add zero additional calories.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH