RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Less food or different formula?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
My dogs have always been healthy and fit on Euk 30/20 premium performance. Have tried the "latest, greatest" a time or two, but always go back. Now that my oldest is officially retired @ 8.5 years, he is not getting near as much exercise. Same for the 5 year old. They get a scant 3 cups a day. Feeding any less would seem like starving them! I definitely see the older gaining weight. If I change to a lower octane formula like Euk adult can he have a little more food without getting fat? They still get daily walks and romps, just not 4 weekly field work days. As winter fills in they will get even less as walking areas and daylight will be limited. Any thoughts? Please, no ads for your favorite brand. We will stick with Euk.

#2 ·
Why not just feed them less of the Euk? The fat is supposed to help them feel full. If you go to a less calorically dense food, most likely it will have less fat, and the dog might feel hungrier on the same number of calories. On the other hand, no harm in experimenting.

My older dog eats just 2 cups per day, which keeps her around 60-65 lbs.

#4 · (Edited)
You are better off with older dogs to lower the fat content with a food with less rather than feeding less of a food with high fat. Think about the math insofar as protein is concerned. Let's assume a food is 100 grams per cup. If you feed two cups of a 30/20 the dog will get 60 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat. If you use Euk Labrador or the Large Breed formula and use 3 cups the dog will get 70 grams of protein and 39 grams of fat. That to me is a better way to feed an aging or less active dog, especially labs cause they do plump up pretty quick. Other breeds like most of the upland dogs you have to pray for them to hold weight sometimes. If you find they still gain weight then, Royal Canin's 30/11.5 for Labradors is the way to go. The protein differential to fat helps keep them lean. Euk Large Breed Senior is another one with good protein levels and lower fat.

#7 ·
This is really an easy answer. No reason to starve the older dog with less food. Feed an adult or Sr. formula keeping the protein up and the fat lower. Eukanuba makes a whole line of products for just this purpose.

#9 ·
Though I like the idea of filling in with vegetables and such, I am afraid I might lose some of the vital nutrients. I am going with Mike B's idea and using the Euk Adult. Seems adequate for all three through the winter, and then if need be come spring I can put the young one back on PP.

#13 ·
Though I like the idea of filling in with vegetables and such, I am afraid I might lose some of the vital nutrients. I am going with Mike B's idea and using the Euk Adult. Seems adequate for all three through the winter, and then if need be come spring I can put the young one back on PP.
Just keep in mind it takes 6-8 weeks to see the full effect of a good change. So the veterinary nutritionists just recommend feeding less of their current food - instead of making good changes.

#12 ·
Euk Senior is fantastic.
The coat is great, energy , attitude,etc.
I feed that to my oldest girl (14). The two other seniors, actually are on the Iams Mini chunk( Iams/Euk same company) and are doing well on that

#14 ·
I am curious about the supplements. I may need to do the same thing. I am down to 1 cup twice a day of the Euk 30/20 and my pup is hungry.

How do you know how much to use at each feeding?
Are green beans or pumpkin fresh or canned? If they are canned is there a concern about the sodium?

Thanks.

#15 ·
We feed less food and 1/2 can unsalted green beans. The dog feels full but gets very nutritional value.

#16 ·
I get a 5# bag of organic frozen green beans from Costco for cheap.... Microwave, steam, boil, whatever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.