The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Poodles

Default Miniature Poodles

From highlights of the October 2013 AKC Board Meeting

"Effective January 1, 2014, Miniature Poodles will be eligible to compete in AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers."
    WOW, I heard there was a impressive mini who worked, in WCX I think, at Iron Range "all retriever breed" WC-WCX series in Minnesota, but I didn't know this was in the works.
    Tollers' heights mostly 17-21 inches, Boykins 14-18, these little guys per AKC standard just 10-15.

Betty King

I heard two comments about this that I enjoyed: "Who will supply the miniature birds" and "What happens if the duck is alive and brings back the mini-poodle."

Glenda

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    I heard two comments about this that I enjoyed: "Who will supply the miniature birds" and "What happens if the duck is alive and brings back the mini-poodle."

Glenda

Ha Ha! Just trying to picture that tiny mouth getting the job done! Or swimming a current during a water blind! Would love to see one be successful!

Good for them. For some reason I have a soft spot for poodles don't know why

My daughter has a rescue toy poodle. The dog is a total nut case. I have been tempted to see how far he flies when launched from my winger.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Be careful where you purchase your HT poodle.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3037094.html

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

I think that the ferret has a better chance then the poodles, they at least have a solid history of going after birds!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Several years ago I was asked to judge a poodle regional WC WCX event. There was a miniature poodle entered who was the first miniature poodle to earn his WCX at that event. He was something else! Ran into cover taller than he was, retrieved a normal sized mallard. On the water, he swam directly to the bird floating in the water but thought he'd try to cheat on the return and swam to his right where there was surface vegetation on the water for about 5 yards from the edge. He climbed in, dragging the duck with him, struggled to make a little headway, and would sling the duck onto the top of the weeds all the way to the shore. Then he proudly picked up that big duck and came running around the edge of the pond, proud as could be. Put a lot of the big dogs to shame that day.

Now, do I think they'll be able to run the big master set ups at the hunt tests? Probably not, but I welcome them to come out and try.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    My daughter has a rescue toy poodle. The dog is a total nut case. I have been tempted to see how far he flies when launched from my winger.
    Don't know why, but that mad me giggle, A LOT!
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

I judged a miniature poodle in a NAHRA started test at number of years ago for the Presque Isle club. The dogs name was Percy. He was a great little dog. He did as good as any other dog on the first three marks. Unfortunately, he didn't pick up the fourth mark because he got caught up in the day-old scent from the trail we ran the day before. He just kept working that old trail. He was the only dog that day to show any indication of the trail from the previous day.

I learned a lot about judging/setting up tets that day.

Tom
    Tom Wall