The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini's at a hunt test

much ado about nothing--just how many "Mini Poodles" will ever make it out of junior??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    So this is what it comes to? I suppose you can make the argument that a poodle is a poodle no matter what size it is and I know spaniels can run in retriever tests and vice versa but what's next? It doesn't have a thing to do with fear of little dogs it has to do with the initial intention of the game and when you dilute the game to the extent the AKC seems bent on with hunt tests then maybe its time to find a different game.
    Boykins can run, Springers and Cockers can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Isn't it one of the duties of a judge to ensure the test they set up is designed so the dogs can see the fall, can be seen running the blind etc? Would a "Mini" owner have a legitimate complaint if a judge sets up a test which all the "normal" sized dogs can see the fall, can be seen running the blind although, a mini is out of sight?
    Absolutely, and they will at the top of their lungs.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Boykins can run, Springers and Cockers can't.
    Just a matter of time, in the interest of fairness. And if you want to talk about fairness why shouldn't the American Water Spaniel be running in the retriever test they are a heck of a lot closer to a retriever than a Boykin.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Just a matter of time, in the interest of fairness. And if you want to talk about fairness why shouldn't the American Water Spaniel be running in the retriever test they are a heck of a lot closer to a retriever than a Boykin.
    In all fairness to history: those curly fluff balls called poodles happen to be the foundation dogs for whom?
    fluffy goldens. or so they say. My bad Julie says no poodles in Chessie lineage anywhere.

much ado bout nuttin
    Last edited by Pals; 11-20-2013 at 06:42 PM.

American Water Spaniels are allowed to run.

And I got news, judges set up tests where full sized labs and goldens are unseen in the cover all the time. Even saw /Paul bitch about it once and he's never even seen a mini poodle, let alone run one in a hunt test. Though, now I'm really thinking about buying one and paying him to run it in Oregon next season!

What we really need to worry about is the day they let Border Collies run field trials.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    In all fairness to history: those curly fluff balls called poodles happen to be the foundation dogs for whom?
    Stinky chessies and fluffy goldens. or so they say

much ado bout nuttin
    Ummm....no poodles in CBR history; don't know about fluffies. Chesapeakes were developed entirely in this country before the first poodle ever set foot on our shores. As for mini poodles in hunt tests, can't see it being much of a problem, if they can do the work, let em have at it!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Is this for real or is it a joke?? And if it's for real where can I read this, website, ect???
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

you can look under akc retriever hunt tests breeds eligible to compete and they show as eligible 1-1-14