RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mini's at a hunt test

21K views 91 replies 52 participants last post by  walt8@cox.net 
#1 ·
From AKC Minutes

• Effective January 1, 2014, Miniature Poodles will be eligible to compete in AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers.
that should be fun, maybe the can run last so we don't have to wait.... :p

#2 ·
There is a lady in one of the training groups I train with once in awhile that brings a mini poodle and runs the set ups with it. It's pretty fun to watch. I think it has a tough time seeing over the high grass but no issues with wanting to get the birds on land or water. It hauls out ducks that look bigger than it is. I think she says it has either a Junior or Started title with it already(not sure). She brought it with while training her other dogs and it just wanted to give it a try. I have thousands of photos of dogs retrieving. The photos of hers are the only mini poodle I have ever seen go out and get ducks.

#3 ·
I wonder , will they be watching birds thrown out of the wingers,or will they be the ones thrown ?
What on earth will AKC think of next......sheesh.......

#6 ·
At what point is AKC going to say enough is enough???? They keep let other breeds in hunt test game. Not that we would but we can't run our LABS in their events cause of specific breed events. Even though this can be entertaining as all us agree. ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Okay how many off breeds has anyone really seen run "retriever" events...I say welcome them...it's a game, not the end of the world...such ugliness for a non-competitive venue...if they can meet the standard, then good for them!

#22 ·
Yep I can see it now a Subaru with mail boxes mounted on the roof...LOL Though seriously if a person chooses to spend the money to enter, more power to them. Last I checked Retriever Clubs Operating expense's are paid by there members, more members more entries equals more money spent to help improve said clubs venues.

#16 ·
The only thing I am concerned about is that they might get lost in the cover. So, how do you judge them if you can't see them?

Just a thought,... carry on!

BHB

#18 ·
I thought this was about Mini-Coopers. Saw one at the last HT I attended. Had a bunch of labs taking pictures with it as if, it was some sort of celebrity.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Happy , I have always wanted a Mini.....

#23 ·
Dang, I know I should have been training Mom's poodle "Peaches" all this time. She's a show reject cause her legs are too long. She's pink in color and can jump a 4' fence. Runs with the 'Peakes and keeps them in line around Grandma's house.

#25 ·
Pals, I think you are right. My Boykin was the first one to run an AKC master test and he went 6 for 6 qualifying for the Master Nationals. BTW that MN plate looks good in my trophy room. Don't think many labs that have a Master National plate can say they have never failed an AKC hunt test. Also, labs are now eligible to run spaniel hunt tests.

#30 ·
The Labrador Retriever specialty is going on right now in Cheraw:razz:

#31 ·
So this is what it comes to? I suppose you can make the argument that a poodle is a poodle no matter what size it is and I know spaniels can run in retriever tests and vice versa but what's next? It doesn't have a thing to do with fear of little dogs it has to do with the initial intention of the game and when you dilute the game to the extent the AKC seems bent on with hunt tests then maybe its time to find a different game.

#34 ·
Lets just hope that as stated before, as judges we do not need to know what kind of dog is running our test before we start. It should not matter what cover we are in, If the test meets the standard . I would hate to have to know in advance I have a mini dog running so can't put my blind where I want it because only one dog will not be seen.

#36 ·
I don't mind running head to head so it will be an opportunity for me to participate in the trial game. I'll get my backside handed to me for awhile but that's ok. I think if you don't think these smaller dogs aren't going to affect the way these tests are set up you got another think comming.

#37 ·
I think if you don't think these smaller dogs aren't going to affect the way these tests are set up you got another think comming.
Maybe. But I would hope not. I run a 32 lb Boykin in finished tests and have come to the line before knowing he may not see a mark as well or that I'm gonna have trouble seeing him on certain lines to a blind. Never gotten any special treatments from judges. I walk up thinking he's prepared to handle anything and he can do the work expected as well or better than any other dog there and if he doesn't do it, Then so be it.
Have run under several judges that are Boykin owners and they have set up some of the harder finished tests I've run.
Maybe we should worry more about the character of the judge and that they uphold the standard and not worry about the dog being run. But worry about "does the dog do the work?"

#38 ·
I think a dog should at least be recognized in the SPORTING GROUP in AKC to be allowed in a sporting dog event through AKC. Poodles of any size have not been recognized as a Sporting breed for years.

#46 ·
American Water Spaniels are allowed to run.

And I got news, judges set up tests where full sized labs and goldens are unseen in the cover all the time. Even saw /Paul bitch about it once and he's never even seen a mini poodle, let alone run one in a hunt test. Though, now I'm really thinking about buying one and paying him to run it in Oregon next season! :razz:;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.