RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mini's at a hunt test

21K views 91 replies 52 participants last post by  walt8@cox.net 
#1 ·
From AKC Minutes

• Effective January 1, 2014, Miniature Poodles will be eligible to compete in AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers.
that should be fun, maybe the can run last so we don't have to wait.... :p

#83 ·
I learned many years ago not to underestimate poodles. Back almost 20 years ago I was training and trialing herding dogs (Australian Cattle Dogs to be specific) and I was put in my place regarding poodles. At that time the Border Collie was not recognized by the AKC. The pro trainer I was taking lessons from was a hard core Border Collie trainer and trialer. I as well as several other AKC breeds (German Shepherds, Corgis, Aussies, etc) also went to her for lessons. One day several of us were sitting around watching dogs work and picking this pros brain when someone (I believe a German Shepherd owner) asked the pro border colie trainer... "next to a border collie what is the best AKC dog for herding" and that is when it happened she replied after taking moment to think about it "it would probably have to be the poodle". All of us "other breed" people (that is what the border collie folks called us) just sat there with our mouths hanging open as she went on to explain that so much of what we want out of a herding dog requires a dog to be incredibly biddable and most other AKC breeds just could not stand up to a border collie in that regard. She stated that although the poodle lacked instinct to herd that she felt it's above average biddability would still make it a better herding dogs than the other AKC herding breeds. Well to this day I still am not sure I buy this.... but I have much more respect for the fluffy dogs :)

#84 ·
A mini-poodle ran Junior this past weekend at Tejas. That little guy did better than most dogs running the stake...and was fun for the gallery to watch. "Kameo Silver Lake Dream" passed both days and according to EE already has one other pass. Should finish his JH easily this weekend at Bryan-College Station.

#85 ·
The poodle community is super proud of Beth and Nina and Janice and Roxanne.....and all of the minis and owners that came before them in Canada and the U.S. who fought hard to have their dogs included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.