The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Old Dog, Old tricks

Default Old Dog, Old tricks

Wow my login still works! I could use advice on FF an almost 8 year old dog. Her OB is strong and she's been hunted for the first time this year and did really well. I have experience and success in training alll levels but never started a dog this old. Do anything different? Any help appreciated!!

How well do you know her? That will make a big difference in how you approach.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    How well do you know her? That will make a big difference in how you approach.
    I hand raised her from a week old

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    I hand raised her from a week old
    That makes a big difference. You know her and know her tolerances. Just start with the "hold" process and see where that gets you. When it comes time for FF, IMO...I would apply only enough pressure to get the desired behavior from her. Praise lavishly. Watch your eyes and her demeanor. If she shuts down, help her.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    That makes a big difference. You know her and know her tolerances. Just start with the "hold" process and see where that gets you. When it comes time for FF, IMO...I would apply only enough pressure to get the desired behavior from her. Praise lavishly. Watch your eyes and her demeanor. If she shuts down, help her.
    Question not a debate but why don't we simply collar fetch and skip ear pinch? Some use toe hitch, ear pinch, all pressures... Why not just start a collar conditioned dog with collar pressure?

Wow my login still works! I could use advice on FF an almost 8 year old dog. Her OB is strong and she's been hunted for the first time this year and did really well. I have experience and success in training alll levels but never started a dog this old. Do anything different? Any help appreciated!!

Question not a debate but why don't we simply collar fetch and skip ear pinch? Some use toe hitch, ear pinch, all pressures... Why not just start a collar conditioned dog with collar pressure?
    Your right...It's not a debate....The decision is yours. Things are done in a specific order for a reason. Just be fair about it or..........