The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: De-bolting

Default De-bolting

In layman's terms please give a description of the process and why it is done.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Most commonly associated with cc. Dog runs away to escape pressure.
    The debolting training is supposed to eliminate this reaction.

I haven't done it with my last 6 or 7 dogs. There was a pretty lengthily thread
    On this a while back

Debolt training is done in front of a place they consider safe. Like open crate or kennel run. Simply do some cc in front of the safe havens on a check cord. If they try to escape prevent with lead and call to you with a here nick.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-04-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    In layman's terms please give a description of the process and why it is done.
    It was done many years ago to prevent run aways when the collar went hay wire and messed up...It was a default reaction to extreme pressure...come to the handler instead of running away.....As Wayne said, it is usually done close to what the dog will consider a safe place to go when things get too hot...in a crate, under the truck,ect....When the dog retreats to their safe place things get hotter than before ....With the heel command given ...The coming to the trainer when extreme pressure was applied is the response needed to overcome the reaction of just running off ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Debolting is also addressed in Mike Lardy's article entitled "After Collar Conditioning". (I just got the new volumes and they're nice, by the way - including the final "Volume 4")

Here are a few points paraphrased from that article, which is in Volume I:

• "Bolt" = trying to flee the scene to escape pressure.
    • A bolting dog -
      • may indicate a trainer should review his training
      • may indicate the dog learned to flee by happenstance and succeeded at using it to escape pressure

• Debolting is a simple procedure to help teach pup that bolting is not an appropriate pressure escape
      • Debolt is not a cure-all and can't fix poorly applied or irrational training decisions.

The article goes on with some steps on how it is done.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Chris when I saw you posted on this I thought I was going to see the photo of "debolt gone wrong"
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    Chris when I saw you posted on this I thought I was going to see the photo of "debolt gone wrong"
    What an excellent idea! Can you find that picture? I think it would be totally applicable here.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Went to a de snaking clinic by Pat Mchale, and a dog that was suposedly trained and CC. Dog had a check rope on and bolted, I was trying to get check cord but owner was hollering no that she would go back to truck. We searched for the dog for about 4 hours

De-bolting is among the simplest and least risky procedures in all the CC work we do. If you pressure condition/CC as per a Carr style system you should breeze through de-bolt in short order.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    What an excellent idea! Can you find that picture? I think it would be totally applicable here.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/images/jim21.JPG
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Wow....that was a "de-bolt gone bad"!

Or...some very comfortable Quebec turf, perfect for a nap.