The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: 1st dog Force Fetch question

Default 1st dog Force Fetch question

Here is my situation... I have a 8 month male lab who has been through basic obedience and collar conditioning. I have been working with him on "hold" for sometime now and he finally is pretty reliable, but not perfect. I can see his anxiety issues with retrieving, and know that it is time to get force fetch started. I had a local pro that had him for a month at the age of 5 months that did a really nice job with him in his obedience..."Sit" "Here" "Heal" plus collar conditioning. I really don't have the money to send him back to the pro right now but I want to keep the training progressing. To give a little background this is my second lab, my first is a 10 year old now who I never forced but has been a good meat dog. The new pup is a totally different animal who has a ton of go and comes from high power breeding. My ultimate goal is to enter the hunt test arena with him and to have a polished, finished retriever that handles.

The big question is... Do I wait till I can afford the help of a pro with force fetch or do I jump in head first and give it a go. Again I have never actually done it before, but I feel that the pro I have a relationship with would make him self available to help answer questions along they way. I would appreciate your insight and expertise.
    Thanks, Heath

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    ....The big question is... Do I wait till I can afford the help of a pro with force fetch or do I jump in head first and give it a go.....
    Thanks, Heath
    if you jumped in and goed
    have you read or seen anything to have showed?
    the folks in your retriever club may be able to
    help.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My suggestion: talk with your pro. You say you "feel" he would make himself available… Why not just ask him about it? He knows your dog a bit from the previous training. Maybe he will spend an afternoon with you showing you how to get started. The cost of a couple of hours of instruction/demonstration will be much more reasonable than a month's worth, but actually *seeing* what he does will be incredibly helpful.

OTOH, don't over think it, sometimes I think people are unreasonably afraid of the process.
    Pam
    Sunshine Joliet Jake, "Jake," SH, RN, CGC, WDX
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe" JH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I have to think you can find someone knowledgeable nearby to help you out. A local training group/club, experienced amateur, etc. Another option may be to talk to your Pro about your financial situation and see if you can offer to PAY for some occasional individualized attention... My Pro does "Train the Trainer" small group sessions every other week giving individualized "homework" to each dog/handler. Something like that might be perfect for you and save you some $$$.

That said, all my dogs go to a pro for Basic OB, FF, and CC. I think its just too important of a foundation and there are too many variances in dogs to risk doing myself as an amateur, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    Here is my situation... I have a 8 month male lab who has been through basic obedience and collar conditioning. I have been working with him on "hold" for sometime now and he finally is pretty reliable, but not perfect. I can see his anxiety issues with retrieving, and know that it is time to get force fetch started. I had a local pro that had him for a month at the age of 5 months that did a really nice job with him in his obedience..."Sit" "Here" "Heal" plus collar conditioning.....

The big question is... Do I wait till I can afford the help of a pro with force fetch or do I jump in head first and give it a go. Again I have never actually done it before, but I feel that the pro I have a relationship with would make him self available to help answer questions along they way. I would appreciate your insight and expertise.
    Thanks, Heath
    Is the pro close enough to work with several days a week?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thanks for the feed back. I have had some conversation with the pro about my situation and his response was... we can work things out. Not entirely sure what that means, but I will need to go over specifics. The Pro trainer is only a 1/2 hr drive from my home so, if the situation allows it would be possible to meet a couple times a week.
    I have no reason to rush necessary due to the fact I have my 10 year old female that is still in good shape and easily make it through the rest of the waterfowl season. That said I still want to make progress with the pup if at all possible. He likes to train and, I want to take advantage of that.

Heath