Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The GOP, a Damaged Brand

Default The GOP, a Damaged Brand

ĎI am who I amí

What the GOP can learn from Chris Christie

By Jennifer Rubin

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will likely win big in his re-election contest this week. His campaign is quick to note that Democrats outnumber Republicans by 700,000 in a state President Obama won by 17 points last year. If he clears 50 percent, it will be the first time in 28 years a Republican will have done that.

Naturally, then, the purity crowdís ire is raised. All that support. See, heís not a real Republican! Well, thatís not much of an exaggeration. The ability to project to a wide, diverse electorate means Christie, almost certain to run for the Republican nomination for president in 2016, brings with him a broader electorate not accessible to the right wing. Rather than bellyache about his diverse base of support, Republicans might learn a thing or two, or eight: 1. Donít show up in minority communities only at election time. For four years, Christie has been going to minority communities, focusing on improving inner-city schools, strengthening neighborhood safety and building alliances. Republicans have to show up and represent minority communities even when those voters donít support them. Itís a long-term proposition that takes sincere and sustained effort. 2. Make the emotional connection with voters. Hurricane Sandy was a once-in-alifetime event, even for New Jersey, the way 9/11 was for New York. Like Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Christie literally embraces voters.

3. Donít be a phony. Christieís favorite phrase, ďI am who I am,Ē should be every candidateís mantra.

4. Do something. Christie has an actual record to which he can point. He knows they want elected leaders to do things for them, whether it is cut taxes or get the beach cleaned up.

5. Humor helps. A candidate doesnít have to be a stand-up comic, but he or she can relate via humor. Self-deprecating humor is the best way of showing humility and good cheer.

6. Take the jargon and process- talk out of campaigning.

7. Donít talk political philosophy. If you have to tell voters how conservative you are or justify policies on ideological grounds, you are in trouble.

8. Be an optimist.

That so many GOP officials and candidates donít get these basics explains, in part, why the GOP brand is so damaged.

Jennifer Rubin writes the Right Turn blog for the Washington Post.

Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I agree a hundred fold.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post

7. Donít talk political philosophy. If you have to tell voters how conservative you are or justify policies on ideological grounds, you are in trouble.

8. Be an optimist.
    The only Christie I ever liked was Julie in Dr Zhivago.....but I can go with these two talking points
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Mark Levin made a cogent comment on his show tonight. Ds always present a united front. During the shutdown, while Harry and Barry kept saying, "We will not negotiate," the Ds stood united ... even though we could see later that they were not so crazy about that when it was just a matter of delaying the individual mandate for a year.

But the Rs constantly eat their own. They need to attack Ds as effectively as they attack each other!

If Ken Cuccinelli loses in VA, it is at least partially because the establishment didn't support him financially or otherwise. against McAuliffe. Meanwhile a major Obama bundler paid for the professional petition people who gathered the signatures to put Sarvis in the race ... the non-Libertarian, because by putting Sarvis on the Libertarian ticket he would be more likely to siphon votes from Cuccinelli. However, Sarvis is no Libertarian (obvious if you listen to what he favors) ... today Ron Paul was telling Libertarians not to be fooled by the name on the ballot. Too bad people didn't listen to what Sarvis was advocating, as it might have siphoned votes away from shady McAuliffe, Clinton worshiper.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Default Bond v. U.S

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...y.html?hpid=z3
    An opinion piece on a SCOTUS case that began today.

In 2006, Carol Anne Bond of Lansdale, Pa., burned a woman with caustic chemicals as revenge after the woman became pregnant by Bondís husband.

Ordinarily, Bond would have been prosecuted for assault, aggravated assault or harassment ó in other words, for violating Pennsylvania criminal laws. Instead, federal prosecutors charged Bond with violating the federal legislation implementing the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons. This treaty outlaws the production, collection and use of chemical weapons, including poisonous gases and bacterial weapons, to prevent chemical warfare.
    Bizarre!

But this is what's at stake:
    If the Supreme Court concludes that a treaty can be used to prosecute Americans, regardless of their constitutional rights, the ramifications could be alarming were these treaties to be ratified:

●Nothing would stop the United Nationís Arms Trade Treaty from being used to vanquish Americansí Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
    He lists more, but you get the idea.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

and sure enough Christie says this tonight in his victory speech

The GOP governor, who's seriously considering a bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, also distanced himself from his moderate label.

"I'm a conservative," Christie said. "I've governed as a conservative in this state, and I think that's led to some people disagreeing with me in our state, because it's generally a left-of-center, blue state."

"The difference has been is I haven't tried to hide it, or mask it as something different," said Christie, who brushed off allegations from conservative tea party Republicans that he is a "RINO" Ė a Republican in name only.
    http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11...w-jersey_race/

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Mark Levin made a cogent comment on his show tonight. Ds always present a united front. During the shutdown, while Harry and Barry kept saying, "We will not negotiate," the Ds stood united ... even though we could see later that they were not so crazy about that when it was just a matter of delaying the individual mandate for a year.

But the Rs constantly eat their own. They need to attack Ds as effectively as they attack each other!

If Ken Cuccinelli loses in VA, it is at least partially because the establishment didn't support him financially or otherwise. against McAuliffe. Meanwhile a major Obama bundler paid for the professional petition people who gathered the signatures to put Sarvis in the race ... the non-Libertarian, because by putting Sarvis on the Libertarian ticket he would be more likely to siphon votes from Cuccinelli. However, Sarvis is no Libertarian (obvious if you listen to what he favors) ... today Ron Paul was telling Libertarians not to be fooled by the name on the ballot. Too bad people didn't listen to what Sarvis was advocating, as it might have siphoned votes away from shady McAuliffe, Clinton worshiper.
    Had the media not shut out Sarvis, voters may have learned about Sarvis being a big government type. THe Libertarian Party as well as Ron Paul tried to warn voters but they received zero coverage in the press.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rles-c-w-cooke

And, the real reason why Cuccinelli lost.

"McAuliffe's campaign took advantage of the issue, running advertising focusing on Cuccinelli's anti-abortion views.
    Preliminary exit polls found that about 60 percent of Virginia voters think abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

"
    Last edited by Franco; 11-06-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Had the media not shut out Sarvis, voters may have learned about Sarvis being a big government type. THe Libertarian Party as well as Ron Paul tried to warn voters but they received zero coverage in the press.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rles-c-w-cooke

And, the real reason why Cuccinelli lost.

"McAuliffe's campaign took advantage of the issue, running advertising focusing on Cuccinelli's anti-abortion views.
    Preliminary exit polls found that about 60 percent of Virginia voters think abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

"

Franco: please explain how your vaunted Libertarian Party ran a candidate that by all accounts was not a Libertarian, so much that Ron Paul campaigned for Cuccinelli ? guess even your Party of choice is prone to run a marginal candidate too

and if you think that abortion was the back breaker you are looking at only the data you want to see...Cuccinelli lost in many demographics, the pro gun crowd didnt show, he got creamed in the female vote

The single issue that even made the race close was the ACA, there was even talk that the Dem/Clinton machine threw money at the Libertarian candidate to siphon off voters from Cuccinelli

Cuccinelli was a flawed candidate, by all accounts McAuliffe should have walloped him by double digits with all his party backing

A HUGE victory for a Republican governor in a "blue" state and no thread on the subject. Oh yeah, that's right, Christie is a RINO around here... an infidel!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Franco: please explain how your vaunted Libertarian Party ran a candidate that by all accounts was not a Libertarian, so much that Ron Paul campaigned for Cuccinelli ? guess even your Party of choice is prone to run a marginal candidate too

and if you think that abortion was the back breaker you are looking at only the data you want to see...Cuccinelli lost in many demographics, the pro gun crowd didnt show, he got creamed in the female vote

The single issue that even made the race close was the ACA, there was even talk that the Dem/Clinton machine threw money at the Libertarian candidate to siphon off voters from Cuccinelli

Cuccinelli was a flawed candidate, by all accounts McAuliffe should have walloped him by double digits with all his party backing
    Sardis wasn't backed by the LP and Ron was campaign against Sardis and not for Cucc. Selective reading Bon? Cucc was drubbed in the female vote in a state where 60% support Choice!
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org