The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl hunting with factory choke tubes??

Default Waterfowl hunting with factory choke tubes??

Not that we are the best shots in the world but after being pretty disappointed with our hit and miss ratio my duck hunting group and I did some patterning with our factory choke tubes. The group guns are (2) Benelli SBE 2's a Beretta semi auto and a Remington 870. The results were about the same with each gun tested with multiple different ammo manufacturers. The BB count at forty yards was terrible and not significantly better till tested at 25 yards. The question is... You that are avid waterfowl hunters, Do you hunt with after market specialty choke tubes?? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks, Heath

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    Not that we are the best shots in the world but after being pretty disappointed with our hit and miss ratio my duck hunting group and I did some patterning with our factory choke tubes. The group guns are (2) Benelli SBE 2's a Beretta semi auto and a Remington 870. The results were about the same with each gun tested with multiple different ammo manufacturers. The BB count at forty yards was terrible and not significantly better till tested at 25 yards. The question is... You that are avid waterfowl hunters, Do you hunt with after market specialty choke tubes?? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks, Heath

I swear by patternmasters choke tube. You will need to find the best load that patterns out of your gun combined with your patternmaster. Expert steel 3 inch number 2's out of my mossberg 835 are fortunately the best pattern i have found. I love it because experst are dirt cheap. Keep in mind there is an extended range choke and a long range. dont quote me but I believe the extended is made more for 3inch loads and long is made for 3.5. you can run either load but they are designed for those specific loads. Also, when you start shooting with your patternmaster you will swear that you are a horrible shot. Your shot string is just be shorter and you have to compensate and lead a little differently.

It's ext, long, and decoy. I shoot an ext in a SBE, its as close to a full choke as you can get. Started using it in 05 when 3.5" shells were $12.99 and only a dollar more than 3". Will add the decoy model this year for ducks only.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I've been shooting the Browning after markets, Gold and Midas chokes. Certainly an improvement in all 3 of my guns. Buddy of mine is a Patternmaster dealer now so I'm about to try one of those. All reputable reports I've had on them locally are positive.

I patterned my Briley IC Against the factory IC with lead 7.5 and steel 2. Briley proved a much better pattern
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Patternmaster is without a doubt worth ever penny.....you'll love it.

Anybody experience with the Carlson designed for Black Cloud? Cabela's offers a three count set,close, mid and long range for $100.00

First. What choke tube did you use to pattern with? I have used factory tubes and when using BB have found Mod to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tim bonnema View Post
    First. What choke tube did you use to pattern with? I have used factory tubes and when using BB have found Mod to be the best.
    I used the factory modified. My pattern at 40 yards consisted of about 4 bbs in a pie plate. (terrible)

Check out this link. http://www.chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm

Your point of impact may be something different. It is not a rifle and will not hit exactly where you aim. Try a more open choke. If you are using black cloud shells they have a special wad that will not work with many aftermarket tubes.