The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl hunting with factory choke tubes??

Quote Originally Posted by tim bonnema View Post
    Check out this link. http://www.chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm

Your point of impact may be something different. It is not a rifle and will not hit exactly where you aim. Try a more open choke. If you are using black cloud shells they have a special wad that will not work with many aftermarket tubes.
    Thanks for the info. I have tried several different loads and really was probably least impressed by the black cloud. Out of the factory choke. I think I'm going to get the patternmaster. I have read a ton of good reveiw about it.

Take care, and good hunting!

I attended a class three weeks ago put on by the StateWildlife guys in Missouri. The class was on shot gunning for waterfowland reducing the number of wounded birds. After we went over the ballistics ofdifferent shot shells we went out to a gun patterning range and tested variousloads and chokes.
    Without going through all the details my Benelli Vinci,shooting at 40 yds. With a 3” #3 Winchester Drylok, 1 Ľoz., (1450 velocity) hadan average on 110 pellet hits (over 3 targets) in the traditional 30” circles,using an IC factory choke. That exceedsthe acceptable level of performance. Ialso patterned using an IC choke made by Briley and saw no significant change. They explained to us that shell velocity forduck hunting of 1400 was good, anything over that is not necessary (save yourshoulders).
    They also said any of the shells that have pellets thatare square, sharp edges, etc. are actually shot that was not yet finished inproduction. They also flare out morethan round shot (even if they have improved jacketing) it is all just saleshype. I shot some of these at patterns andwow they flunked the test at 40 yds. Don’twaste your money. Learned a lot andgot about 20 minutes of shooting coaching, was fun and my shooting on openingday was improved.

I shoot the Beretta a400 and shoot black cloud #2 in open fields and timber holes in the 3" Black Cloud. Does anyone know if the Carlson, Patternmaster, Kicks chokes for Black Cloud actually make a difference without buying all 3 and testing them(would be expensive with all 3 brands and couple boxes of shells).
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    I patterned my Briley IC Against the factory IC with lead 7.5 and steel 2. Briley proved a much better pattern
    Briley makes the best chokes I've used, but I stay with factory Beretta chokes..
    Last edited by sapitrucha; 11-07-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    I shoot the Beretta a400 and shoot black cloud #2 in open fields and timber holes in the 3" Black Cloud. Does anyone know if the Carlson, Patternmaster, Kicks chokes for Black Cloud actually make a difference without buying all 3 and testing them(would be expensive with all 3 brands and couple boxes of shells).
    The "Tempest" choke tube w/Black Cloud works pretty well.
    It is NOT ported so the wadding doesn't get clogged.
    It does give some "reach" if you will.

For decoy shooting I use the stock modified choke.
    Last edited by road kill; 11-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Got an email today from patternmaster that for veterans day they are running 10% off and free shipping with code VETERANS2013 if anyone is interested.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    After actually Patterning my Benelli Vinci 12ga using various steel loads I found at 40yds the Black Cloud to be the worst of the lot. The non-round pellets spread out like mad, even with the "special wad" they use. If you think about it, it makes since. Would you rather throw a round ball or one with a ridge on it? It is all sales hype, these pellets are actually just unfinished steel shot (the final rounding out was not done leaving the mold seams)....just good old American marketing to the masses....snake oil and all!

Never did figure out the physics of Black Cloud but the spec that got in front of a load of deuces this morning gave up and died mid air on a medium long shot. With SBEII factory mod choke.

Never did figure out why I would spend a lot of money on the last gun I ever intend to buy and then chase around and buy an expensive after market gizmo. Why ain't those gizmo guys making firearms?
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Never did figure out the physics of Black Cloud but the spec that got in front of a load of deuces this morning gave up and died mid air on a medium long shot. With SBEII factory mod choke.

Never did figure out why I would spend a lot of money on the last gun I ever intend to buy and then chase around and buy an expensive after market gizmo. Why ain't those gizmo guys making firearms?
    That is exactly my thoughts... You buy a top of the line gun and then you have to buy after market chokes to get the thing shooting an acceptable pattern with steel shot. Then you have the whole steel shot issue where most of it in my opinion sucks, I just find it inefficient. And if you really want ammo that hits hard and performs well, you need to spend $30.00 + per box for the heavy shot bismuth, and tungsten which who can afford cases of that stuff every year. Not this guy!

I always hunt over decoys, shots are never beyond 35yds, or I don't take it. I use Drylok # 3's, 3" Shell...they work very well for what I use them for...