The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Waterfowl hunting with factory choke tubes??

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Where are you able to buy blackcloud for $11 a box? The only Blackcloud I've used were during their testing of the snow goose loads when some hunting buddies were given a couple of cases to field test for them.
    No I am paying $179 a case for the black clouds. Wish I could find them for $11 a box. Blue box federals are $169 a case at the local gun shop where I get the black clouds.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    No I am paying $179 a case for the black clouds. Wish I could find them for $11 a box. Blue box federals are $169 a case at the local gun shop where I get the black clouds.
    Rogers has blue box by the case for now $110 a case with free shipping. They were 10 less this summer.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    I used the factory modified. My pattern at 40 yards consisted of about 4 bbs in a pie plate. (terrible)
    Too tight. Benni's are a bit tighter to start and IC would be a better choice, esp if you are using Blackcloud. My factory Browning Inv + pattern very well with all the Federal loads if I choke correctly.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

http://drakekiller.com/

I've been using this for 4-5 years. It delivers as advertised and they do all the patterning for you!
    Seaside Monster's Inc. MH
    Seaside's Pumpkin Ridge Tinkerbell

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    I used the factory modified. My pattern at 40 yards consisted of about 4 bbs in a pie plate. (terrible)
    If you were shooting steel, IC chokes will typical give a tighter, more consistent pattern than Mod. I've patterned mine with factory chokes and with steel, the difference was considerable in the patterns. Anyone who thinks Black Cloud or something similar is necessary should look up 21 time world sporting clays champion, George Digweed, on Youtube. Shooting steel at the last world championship, he hit 198 of 200 sporting clays targets including 150 in a row. Look up the video of him shooting pigeons.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

I swear by Kicks...but i have shot factory chokes and done alright with them before

Since some are not fans of black cloud and I know every gun can perform a little differently. What is the best shell and choke recommended for the A400 that you have found.
    I am shooting an A400 Extrema and am using a Terror choke with a .700 constriction. I'm shooting Heavy Metal 3" 1 1/4oz #3's. I've been shooting this load for 3 years now and absolutely love it. With this choke/load combination it is a bit tight at 30 yards but the pattern is very uniform and easily 95% at 30 yards. I used to shoot Hevishot and it just became too expensive. Since changing to Heavy Metal I haven't noticed an increase in cripples and my patterns are just as tight as with Hevishot.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Remington 11-87, Federal speed shok 3" , #2's sure work awesome with a factory i/c extended tube.

No way Im paying for the hype.
    I don't shoot at passing birds, and try to keep all my shots well under 40 yards.

Since some are not fans of black cloud and I know every gun can perform a little differently. What is the best shell and choke recommended for the A400 that you have found.
    I shoot A400 use 3" #3 heavy metal works great 1.25 oz at 1500 fps. I used to shoot Winchester Drylock also a good shell just a little slower 1450 fps.