The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swollen ears

Default swollen ears

Very odd issue today. I let dogs out to run, eat, etc and noticed my black male was shaking his head quite often. I checked him out and noticed both ears are quite swollen. When I massage them he doesn't show any signs of being in pain. He ate well and ran about his duties as normal. Could this be an allergy or a bite or any other ideas?

Sounds like a hematoma due to violent head shaking. Pretty common in dogs with floppy ears. Vet can usually drain blood.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Yep, he's shaking his head so much that he's caused blood and fluid to pool in his ear flaps. Probably needs to see the vet as he more than likely has an ear infection that's causing him to shake so much. You can ice the flaps (cold packs wrapped in a towel) to help reduce swelling until you can get him to a vet.

I would get him to the vet to see why he is shaking his head so much. Ear Infection maybe???
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

My last dog, a chessie, would get swollen ears at certain times of the year, usually fall and in certain areas. No fluid like hematoma just generalized swelling of both pinnae to about twice normal thickness. Treated with benadryl 25mg 3X a day when this occurred and that kept her comfortable and the swelling would subside. This went on for most of her life and would occur every year. Never did find out what she was allergic to.

My old Jet got swollen ears from an allergic reaction to the medication Metacam. They were about 3x normal thickness by the time we got home. Back to the vet and benadryl did the trick. Susan
    "We don't get the dog we want. We get the dog we need." Cesar Millan

well that's what the doc says..a hematoma due to pretty bad ear infection. Got some ear meds and a steriod. Guess I need to be more diligent and precise when cleaning ears after their water workouts. Funny thing is..is that I haven't noticed any head shaking on him at all..none. All was fine yesterday and out he came this am swollen. He must have had a troublesome night.

Well..I am reposting this due the fact that he has issue again. Ears are slightly swollen and jaw a bit swollen etc. I have been very diligent about cleaning ears. Can't figure why he'd keep getting infections?? Have another vet appt tomorrow. He does shake his head more often so something is bothering his ears...frustrating. Any other thoughts?

This is THE STUFF for ear infection prevention
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...t=purple+stuff
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

How is his coat and general health? Chronic ear infections are a classic sign of allergies. My dog had a few ear infections as a puppy, plus some skin issues. My Vet and I tried a few different things to find what she was allergic to, including prescription allergy food, we never did pinpoint anything specific. But, once I got her on a grain free diet with a local herbal supplement that boosts her immune system, no ear infections for years now and she has a beautiful shiny coat. I feed Taste of the Wild, but there are lots of similar choices available now, with new protein sources they may not be reactive to. Dogs, like people, can develop hearing loss from chronic ear infections. He must get pretty bad infections if he continues to shake so hard he gets hematomas