The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for states that have public training and test/trial grounds.

Default Looking for states that have public training and test/trial grounds.

I would like to know which states that designated public retriever training and or test/trial grounds on state property. Also, what are the guidelines in as much as are you limited to the time of year due to waterfowl nesting times? Are they easily accessible? I guess what I want to know are the restrictions and rules/guidelines.

In Utah:

"Hunting dog training is allowed on the following DWR wildlife and waterfowl management areas:

Farmington Bay WMA Davis County/Salt Lake County, entire area open to dogs and dog training two weeks before waterfowl season through February
    Lee Kay Center Salt Lake County, open year-round
    Ogden Bay WMA Weber County, three designated dog training areas, open seasonally September 1 to April 1
    Willard Bay WMA Weber County, dog training pond open year-round, areas south of the road open year-round"

Out here in the Wild West we also use National forests etc. for training, trialing, or testing, and there are other state lands that are not managed and you are allowed to train year round
    Last edited by mitty; 11-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Renee P

In Nebraska there is no dog training from May 15th to July 15th I believe on public ground. I don't think they are real worried about waterfowl nesting, more upland birds that don't exist. Also any land designated as "trial grounds" is off limit to training while the trial is going on, I didn't realize it was an actual law.
    Daren Galloway

in Idaho we use BLM (bureau of land management) properties, but they are usually rough,roads are marginal and water consist of beaver ponds or spring fed...did run into one situation where some Basque sheepherders felt like the sage areas were theirs to control, and I did not wish to challenge their rather large Newfoundland dog...also have to be aware of gopher holes,whistle pigs and RTV'ers
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Alabama has Forever Wild known as the Barnett Lawely FT grounds better known as the
    "cattle Ranch". 4300 acres dedicated to sporting dogs- most years we have 14 retriever events.
    Never closed to nesting issues, 200 pieces of water and the list goes on.
    Cost is 5 a day per dog.
    Come see
    Dk

South Carolina. H.Cooper Black. Awesome place. We usually camp when we're testing. Horse facilities too.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Western Kentucky wildlife area
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.-Louis Sabin

GRHRCH Hunter's Marsh Happy "Hooch" MH 1000 HRC pts.
    HRCH Laurie's Devil in Disguise " Annie"
    GRHRCH Fields of Fire Pattons Fly BY ! "Phoenix" SH (500 HRC pts)
    HRCH Fields of Fire Webbfooted Flashover " Rson " SH
    Fields of Fire Glowing Ember!

One of very few things the State of Illinois did get right. Training/hunt tests/field trials are restricted during public hunting season. You do need to reserve the area and show proof of club insurance in order to hold tests or trials on the properties.
    Here are the properties and restrictions. Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife area is a popular area for hunt tests and field trials.
    http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...n/dtpublic.htm

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    South Carolina. H.Cooper Black. Awesome place. We usually camp when we're testing. Horse facilities too.
    Open every day except Christmas Day. Unless it is reserved for an event, you can train dogs on it either by showing up and finding a place that nobody else is using or by reserving one of the fields for either a full or half day.