Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloning a special dog

I think it would be supremely weird...
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Cloning No; I feel it would be extremely selfish and do nothing but take away from the memory-importance of the dog that you wish to preserve. A special dog deserves a place to remain in one's heart and not have it's importance diminished, by a shadowy version of itself. Even if they were completely identical (your not gonna have those times back or those memories again). Better to have new memories with a new dog, and treasure the past. That said I think the best thing you can do with a special dog is to either breed it (or for a male keep a few straws), so you can continue the line. Then you can have new memories, with a new dog; but continue to smile when a few little bits; of that special dog, show-up generations later.

I have one dog that died @ 7mts of Age; she made more of impression in those months than I would have ever thought possible, and I would really like that pup back; But I would not take a clone of her; It's unfair to her memory even if she was only on this earth for such a short time.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

A customer and friend cloned his bucking bull Dr. Proctor. He spent nearly $1M and got 9 clones that I don't believe added up to much in the arena.

Well said.
    Thanks.

The life expectancy of a clone is significantly shorter. And the older the animal you clone, the shorter the life of the clone will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Kentucky Labradors View Post
    The life expectancy of a clone is significantly shorter. And the older the animal you clone, the shorter the life of the clone will be.
    Great, thanks a lot, there go my hopes to make a come back.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Mark, The negative results of cloning can be viewed at anytime on RTF PP. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

ain't that the truth, Hugh?
    Chuck

After thirty years of breeding Labs, I have had some I would love to clone, but that is the reason that Cleo and I had line bred so many of our dogs. We tried to get as close to that "original" dog that got so much of our hearts so often. That is the reason we talked Mandy into taking over Gator Point Kennel. We just got too old, and Mandy is doing a great job with the Chocolate dogs, see they really ''CAN COUNT TO THREE''. Good luck in finding that piece of your heart that you've lost, I'm still trying. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Anyone thought about it?
    Cost?
    Is it being done?
    Legal?
    What is needed to do cloning?
    Would you really get the same dog you had if done?
    Same markings, smarts, temperament, as in the same dog in all respects??

Would you do it?
    Some of your questions have been answered, some have been "blinked." Some more answers are here:
    http://myfriendagain.com/Dog%20Cloni...ing%20cost.htm

I don't think the claim there is only one company in the worrld is true, In fact, I've been told by one very interested person there are several "labs" cloning dogs in the world and in the USA in particular - but that's all I know on that.

Would I? Not for 100 grand but for a lot less I'd do it for the one that died in 2010 if not too late. I'd be VERY interested in how it turned out and I'm sure the cloners would be too. Same genes, same home etc...

Jere