The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training for calmness

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Instead of using the word calm the word patience is correct term. Teaching a dog to be calm until released is teachable. If you are looking for a high drive dog to be a lap dog good luck. To answer the question about a high drive dog in the boat duck hunting, No problem with a trained dog. Sit means sit and call their name to be released and the dog explodes for the retrieve.
    somebody say lap dog?

And this one brings whole new meaning to fire breather
    Attached Images Attached Images

The vast majority of British Labs don't have a problem being calm whether in the field or the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    I have a fire-breather.... right now he's sleeping at my feet as I type. Been there all day. Perfect house dog.... almost totally submissive in the house. If I look at him crossways, he almost cowers wondering "what the heck did I do wrong now....??"

Hunting he is the perfect gentleman in the blind.. but always attentive and watching for birds. I've gotten lazy... I don't watch like I used to because 99 time out of 100 Deuce will alert me to birds coming in. He has made more retrieves of birds that we would have never bagged without a dog than I can count. He doesn't give up... relentlessly searches on a hunt and will chase a bird forever. I've been warned that I need to watch him because on a hot day he would probably fall over dead from heat stroke before he would ever give up.

At a hunt test, he is full throttle. If the only place I saw him was at a test I would think he is impossible in a hunting blind or in the house. But, he's a GMHRCH.. 1000 point NAHRA dog and in any venue 1000 points says something. At a test he's like punching the throttle on a Ferrari.... oh what a thrill!

Someone already said it.. dogs are situational, just like us! I'm amped up and nervous at hunt tests too... calm and relaxed at home... and hunting.. well, hunting is hunting.

My next dog, I don't want it any other way. Give me a firebreather!
    And he's 7 years old. Can you believe it?

I was just thinking about how much I like my littermate to yours. I wish I knew how to get another one just like them.

IMG00215.jpgIMG00036.jpg

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    The vast majority of British Labs don't have a problem being calm whether in the field or the home.
    I don't know. Watched a YouTube of Brit FT. And no one was breaking and they were well controlled but they seemed like pretty salty dogs to me. (Someone should tell the Brits they're sending their dogs with the wrong hand.)

excellent excellent excellent

I have the mellowest dog you will ever meet, calm, quiet, gentle but he proves himself time and time again in competition. 4XGMPR HRCH Rooster Smasher, MH, QAA. Rooster would have received his GRHRCH this fall if he had not pointed his bird on the upland and refused to break point to flush, he had passed the previous year. He puts calmness into the pups when bred to fire breathing females.
    Torgslabs
    www.Torgslabs.com
    4XGMPR HRCH (GRHRCH pass)HRK ROOSTER SMASHER, MH, QAA
    STONEY BURKE, MH, QAA
    ERIK THE RED, MH
    HUNTING MEMORIES, JH "TANNER"

Not sure if this is what people consider "calmness", but my 8 mo BLM is a cryer. Its getting to the point that its becoming annoying. At first his vocalness was cute now I can see it becoming a problem. When training he gets really excited/anxious and I try to either wait him out until he stops or call it a day. I believe he has separation anxiety because he will freak out if either my wife or I go to the garage or leave the house, even if the other is still inside. I have and use a squirt bottle but its not always accessible when he's being a baby. I've done a lot of searching through these threads and the internet in general. It seems as though I should just completely ignore the dog when he's whining...i.e. don't look at him, touch him, etc. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    I'm not sure you can change a dogs day to day personality, but I certainly believe you can mold proper behaviors and expectations during training and testing atmospheres.
    I like this I think if you've got a pup with a tendency to be a fire-breather, noise etc. and you never let them develop that particular talent, you can have a high drive, quite, and a calm dog in the same animal. Seems to me every uncontrollable fire-breather that I've ran were sort've allowed to run loose, and never taught to manage their intensity at a young age; then when it was time to steady them they were so out of control that you could only ever try to maintain the intensity. However; I've seen friends buy dogs with tendencies; which they know to be in a line; but they were no tolerance with the trait and never let it develop. Much easier to not let it develop than try to fix it; I'm not of the opinion such things can't be fixed after they are ingrained; they can only ever be maintained, which usually requires someone who knows what they're doing. It's pretty exhausting, for everyone involved.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by WyoLab View Post
    I've done a lot of searching through these threads and the internet in general. It seems as though I should just completely ignore the dog when he's whining...i.e. don't look at him, touch him, etc. Any suggestions?
    I think leaving him to cry, and ignoring a dog when he's doing an undesirable behavior; is the worst thing you could do; first it's gonna drive you nuts, second he doesn't learn that what he is doing is wrong. When he cries; You need to address it, grab him by the muzzle and tell him NO_QUITE, and be consistent that you correct him every-time he makes a noise; you don't like. Some dogs don't even know they are making sound, it's never been addressed that they shouldn't and it just becomes natural for them to be vocal. The dog needs to learn that it's unacceptable, or he'll just continue to do it.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have a fire breather who is the best house dog I have ever owned. The problem is he is so excited at a trial, handling him looses the joy. He is skilled, derby list and QAA but just can not stand the excitement at a trial so will be a day training partner for me. You can only put so much money up against an animal who just can not help himself. He drools huge pools on the floor at the sight of a cracker. Can you imagine what he does when he sees ducks?
    Gwen Jones

Gemstone's Formal Attire ( Tux ) QAA
    Gemstone's Stimulous Bailout ( Cash ) QAA
    Gemstone's Skyy Blue

In Memory
    FC Gemstone's The Raven
    Gemstone's Tyra Banks QAA
    Gemstone's Lotta Boom SH
    Gemstone's Sweet Southern Jazzmine MH