The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GRHRCH British Labs?

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Can we clarify that this dog was an imported Irish FTCh that rose to become a master hunter in the US, but is not an AFC or FC as titled in US field trials?

MG
    If it's an Irish FTCH, and registered/born in Ireland, then it's not BRITISH either! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    If it's an Irish FTCH, and registered/born in Ireland, then it's not BRITISH either! LOL
    So, Ms. (LO)L, how goes the British FTCh scene heading into the IGL champs? Please give us the scoop from Blighty and some odds on the starters that Ladbrokes might not have.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    None right now I should have said hrch instead of grand hopefully have her grand by the time she is 3
    Grand by 3 is still a pretty lofting goal...good luck.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

I'm not sure if some of you are genuinely asking or just being sarcastic. A dog is not a citizen, such as a human. A couple moves from Scotland to America and has a child, that child is American. As far as ancestry goes, he's Scottish (at least 1 generation prior, who knows past that).

Everyone on this thread ought know that calling a lab British has little to do with where the dog is born. It only has to do with the ancestry of the dog. Does the dog have an ancestry of Labradors who have competed in American field trials? That's an American lab, as described in these conversations. If the dog has ancestry of dogs who competed in British field trials, that's a British dog.

There is a distinction between British trial lines and other UK/European trial lines... So an Irish FTCH isn't a British FTCH, but British is the catch-all for UK dogs when discussing them in America (much to the dislike of some Irish guys I know!)

Of course, there's always mixes and everything in between... Just hoping this clarifies that a dog doesn't have to be born in England to be a British lab, nor is calling a dog born here a British lab improper usage of the term.
    -Barton Ramsey

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Yes Crackerd, Sam was an imported FTCH who then became a MH in the U.S.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    I'm not sure if some of you are genuinely asking or just being sarcastic. A dog is not a citizen, such as a human. A couple moves from Scotland to America and has a child, that child is American. As far as ancestry goes, he's Scottish (at least 1 generation prior, who knows past that).

Everyone on this thread ought know that calling a lab British has little to do with where the dog is born. It only has to do with the ancestry of the dog. Does the dog have an ancestry of Labradors who have competed in American field trials? That's an American lab, as described in these conversations. If the dog has ancestry of dogs who competed in British field trials, that's a British dog.

There is a distinction between British trial lines and other UK/European trial lines... So an Irish FTCH isn't a British FTCH, but British is the catch-all for UK dogs when discussing them in America (much to the dislike of some Irish guys I know!)

Of course, there's always mixes and everything in between... Just hoping this clarifies that a dog doesn't have to be born in England to be a British lab, nor is calling a dog born here a British lab improper usage of the term.
    If Alex Salmond has his way over here as First minister, then perhaps there will be a 'Scottish Labrador'?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

So what do you call a British decendent trained with American methods....
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Huntington View Post
    An Imposter !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    An Imposter !
    Polmaise...you didn't just go there!

I train both mine and most of my client dogs using "American" methods and am very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Huntington View Post
    I don't think the training method has much to do with the description given to the dog. If so, then we would need all new categories. Lardy Labs, Smartworks Labs, Positive Labs, Mostly Positive labs.

The differences between types of labs are just generalizations, and there are always exceptions. For instance, everyone talks about British labradors (trial lines) being smaller, but I've read several posts on here of American FC line ancestry lab females who barely reach 45lbs. The bottom line is, the labs in the UK are tested differently than the labs in America... the good pedigree'd labs from the UK are from dogs who did exceedingly well in that type of testing, and the same goes for American labs. The guys in the UK train their dogs a specific way to achieve success in those tests, and American's do likewise. There is much overlap, MUCH. This forum tends to focus on the differences, which is fine.
    -Barton Ramsey