The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elephant in the classroom : Finally real speak.

Default The Elephant in the classroom : Finally real speak.

The elephant in the room

Your recent story on St. Paul Public Schools and race (“Facing the race issue,” Oct. 28) failed to mention the elephant in the room. That elephant is that St. Paul Public Schools currently has a black agenda, thanks to the Pacific Educational Group consulting firm.

The agenda is to place blame on white teachers for low test scores and a high suspension rate among black boys. We never want to address parental involvement, lack of fathers in the homes or education not valued (because this is common sense and may actually help students and families that are struggling).

So, we continue to make white people the scapegoat and set our kids up for failure with nonsense. We should be speaking with our black parents whose kids are doing well (and St. Paul has many that fit this criteria) and ask them what they do to ensure that their children succeed.

I’d bet my last dollar that we’d learn that education is valued in these homes and parents are involved with their children’s education. This is not rocket science. Spending tons of money on this consulting firm is a slap in the face to the taxpayers of St. Paul. As a black man who currently teaches in St. Paul, PEG does not represent my views on how to close the achievement gap.

Aaron Anthony Benner, St. Paul The writer is a fourth- grade teacher at John A. Johnson Elementary School.

Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Mr. Benner has a lot of courage.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The best schools and best teachers in the world are no substitute for good parenting. I'm sad to say that by the time the school system gets their hands on many of these kids, it's too late.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The best schools and best teachers in the world are no substitute for good parenting. I'm sad to say that by the time the school system gets their hands on many of these kids, it's too late.
    Buzz, this is your best post ever. I agree with you 100% on this.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

After 15 years in elementary and middle school classrooms, and as the son of a retired Principal and Superintendent I can say this is as close to 100% truth as it gets.
    Mike

Isn't part of that parenting problem that a) there are so many more one-parent homes; b) the kids get shuffled off to daycare so those caretakers, good or bad, are really taking on much of the parental role.

On other threads, we were talking about things like baby mommas and baby daddys ... not parents in the traditional sense. We've seen how entitlements have made it more profitable to have no father in the home, and the parent that is left to become govt-dependent.

There have always been some negligent parents, but are we not making it possible to increase the numbers of that type of parent and doing nothing to nurture more attentive parents?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Wow, we agree on something!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

How strange that this happened just now since we are talking about parenting................... Our neighbors have at least 7 foster children some of which have been adopted. Have they got their hands full ! She quit her good job to stay home with these kids. The strange thing today was they were delivering candy sold for school ( or the Scouts ) and we have now paid for that little box of candy twice. Hopefully these parents can overcome the bad starts that those kids got in life. I hope that it was a mistake on the kid's part and not something learned earlier in life.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    How strange that this happened just now since we are talking about parenting................... Our neighbors have at least 7 foster children some of which have been adopted. Have they got their hands full ! She quit her good job to stay home with these kids. The strange thing today was they were delivering candy sold for school ( or the Scouts ) and we have now paid for that little box of candy twice. Hopefully these parents can overcome the bad starts that those kids got in life. I hope that it was a mistake on the kid's part and not something learned earlier in life.
    I'll have more to say on the OP later but you need to understand most kids do not understand a lot about money at a young age. It's only when they have to share with USam that they begin to realize the value of money.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

You've received pats for this post so I'll ask.

Don't these teachers want to be considered professionals? Don't they receive many hours in the classroom? Aren't they compensated very well for what they bring to the table?

It is a fact of life that today's children are different, they asked for the job, no one forced them to be a teacher other than themselves. Don't you feel it a little self serving to blame it on someone or something else when they fail.

"Per Thomas Sowell" Dunbar HS in DC was the epitome of a quality education. The Jesse Jackson's & liberal D's fixed that. Why do you suppose that was?

When you send your dog with an issue to a pro you expect to get it fixed & in most cases they do. Why are you willing to accept a failure rate as high as the education system routinely has?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!