The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Elephant in the classroom : Finally real speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    You've received pats for this post so I'll ask.

Don't these teachers want to be considered professionals? Don't they receive many hours in the classroom? Aren't they compensated very well for what they bring to the table?

It is a fact of life that today's children are different, they asked for the job, no one forced them to be a teacher other than themselves. Don't you feel it a little self serving to blame it on someone or something else when they fail.

"Per Thomas Sowell" Dunbar HS in DC was the epitome of a quality education. The Jesse Jackson's & liberal D's fixed that. Why do you suppose that was?

When you send your dog with an issue to a pro you expect to get it fixed & in most cases they do. Why are you willing to accept a failure rate as high as the education system routinely has?
    But isn't one of the biggest differences is that a dog sent to a Pro to be "fixed" or "educated", stays with the Pro, is taught a routine, taught discipline, etc...where as a child returns home after being at school....the teacher has no control over routine and all other aspects of the child's life (home work, chores, eating, sleeping, etc)....hence why most Pros dislike the idea of a dog going home on weekends and evenings...

As a side note, I was taught to respect my teachers and adults I interacted with and I FEARED my parents being told I did anything wrong by my teachers/principles...I'd rather get a paddling than my parents being called!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    But isn't one of the biggest differences is that a dog sent to a Pro to be "fixed" or "educated", stays with the Pro, is taught a routine, taught discipline, etc...where as a child returns home after being at school....the teacher has no control over routine and all other aspects of the child's life (home work, chores, eating, sleeping, etc)....hence why most Pros dislike the idea of a dog going home on weekends and evenings...

As a side note, I was taught to respect my teachers and adults I interacted with and I FEARED my parents being told I did anything wrong by my teachers/principles...I'd rather get a paddling than my parents being called!
    Also, can't dogs be spayed or neutered?

Just askin'.............

BTW--Teachers should teach, parents should parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Part of the education problem is dumbing it all down too much. Agreed with Buzz, bad parenting can't be fixed by teachers. They may be able to inspire the occasional student from a horrible home situation but I'd bet that is the exception, not the norm. I'm not surprised to hear the rallying cry of Democrats everywhere (calling anyone they disagree with racist) is being used to extort more money for failing school systems.
    Yet in DC and Louisiana the Ds are the ones fighting against school vouchers (a/k/a school choice) which has proven both effective both in cost and results. Makes you wonder if up is down and down is up?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

ment gap is entirely normal, as are gaps in all things, and it cannot be fixed by bloating the educational bureaucracy with more diversity training or hiring another outside consultant to drain our tax dollars. It particularly cannot be fixed with money any more than I could pay somebody to make my golf score equal to a scratch handicapper.
    Thomas Sowell wrote a column on exactly this premise.

I'd say it's called "the normal curve", by golly.

What we should give to every student is opportunity and basic educational tools to do the best they can do with whatever gifts or limitations they have; and whenever possible make them capable of functioning in society to be self-supporting and responsible members of their communities. Some will aspire and have the ability to achieve extraordinary things. Some can be happy with the more mundane, but honest, ways to earn a living. Society benefits from having both kinds of such law-abiding citizens.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    What we should give to every student is opportunity and basic educational tools to do the best they can do with whatever gifts or limitations they have; and whenever possible make them capable of functioning in society to be self-supporting and responsible members of their communities. Some will aspire and have the ability to achieve extraordinary things. Some can be happy with the more mundane, but honest, ways to earn a living. Society benefits from having both kinds of such law-abiding citizens.
    Thomas Sowell is a brilliant man. I do not believe anyone on this forum can improve on that statement.

Lainee, I've done a lot of day training & I've seen others also day train. Some get less from the session than others. But the point I would make is that they all improve, some more than others .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Yet in DC and Louisiana the Ds are the ones fighting against school vouchers (a/k/a school choice) which has proven both effective both in cost and results. Makes you wonder if up is down and down is up?
    If they are anything like the vouchers the Republicans have tried to push through in MN, anyone with common sense would fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    If they are anything like the vouchers the Republicans have tried to push through in MN, anyone with common sense would fight it.
    And why don't you tell us what was wrong with the voucher that the bad ol republicans were trying to push through?
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1162264]With all due respect - being a classroom teacher does not qualify you as the only expert on education.

With all due respect Marv, Brad is far more qualified to speak on education in the classroom than you. Like Brad mentioned, unless you are in the room and paricipating with the students, watching the interaction of those students along with behaviors, you are at best a spectator.

I hear it every day from my wife who is a Special Education teacher, with BTW a MASTER.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    And why don't you tell us what was wrong with the voucher that the bad ol republicans were trying to push through?
    That's simple it pulled money away from public schools giving it to the private ones, the private schools had no requirement to take on the high demand students that drain public schools of their money. If the public school system was allowed to pick and choose their students the way the private ones can, scores would skyrocket and funding could be lowered that is not the case, the public system does not have that luxury. Instead of trying to pull money from public schools why not just take away the policies that handcuff them?

[QUOTE=Wade;1162427]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    With all due respect - being a classroom teacher does not qualify you as the only expert on education.

With all due respect Marv, Brad is far more qualified to speak on education in the classroom than you. Like Brad mentioned, unless you are in the room and paricipating with the students, watching the interaction of those students along with behaviors, you are at best a spectator.

I hear it every day from my wife who is a Special Education teacher, with BTW a MASTER.
    IYO only - if the educators are so smart why haven't they fixed the problem?

We all know what BS is, MS is just more of the same & PHD is short for Plied Higher & Deeper .

My best elementary school teacher had a normal school certificate & the teacher most in demand, in fact used exclusively by the education staff was also one of those during my SB days.

As UB would say I would not ex-pect a different version from a MN loonie .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!