The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pup "Hates" T-Work ! Loves Pattern Blinds ?

When I was a fledgling trainer I worked with the late D.L. Walters at his place for several years. Early on I was having a problem similar to yours, and asked D.L. if I should just stop what I was doing. He said, "Well, you can do that. But your problem will still be there waiting for you when you get back. A better option would be to change how you're doing it, and end up with a trained dog. Training problems don't tend to get solved by quitting. They get better by learning to train through them." I've found that to be good advice.

My email address is rushcreekpress@aol.com . Let's just train the dog, shall we?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

For a long time I've stayed away from commenting on training threads, mostly because I've figured out enough to know that there is a lot that I don't know. Reading them though, I never cease to be amazed at the broad range of conflicting advice that gets thrown into the hat.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

You are correct but ATTITUDES don't get better with more pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    When I was a fledgling trainer I worked with the late D.L. Walters at his place for several years. Early on I was having a problem similar to yours, and asked D.L. if I should just stop what I was doing. He said, "Well, you can do that. But your problem will still be there waiting for you when you get back. A better option would be to change how you're doing it, and end up with a trained dog. Training problems don't tend to get solved by quitting. They get better by learning to train through them." I've found that to be good advice.

My email address is rushcreekpress@aol.com . Let's just train the dog, shall we?

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    You are correct but ATTITUDES don't get better with more pressure.
    I surely agree with that. Of course I'm still assessing this dog's training history, so I'm not recommending more pressure at this point. I'm also not recommending that he abandon training, but rather making a reasoned adjustment to how this dog is trained.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

I don't think anyone suggesting; the trainer just quit on the T; rather that it's time to

“Adapt the training to the dog, not the dog to the training" - Evan Graham

All these problem that might "be laying in wait" can be addressed through different methods the t-pattern is a step not the end all. Dogs Souring on T-pattern; time to try something else, there are many other way to accomplish and proof the same solid skill set.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I don't think anyone suggesting; the trainer just quit on the T; rather that it's time to

“Adapt the training to the dog, not the dog to the training" - Evan Graham

Dogs Souring on T-pattern; time to try something else.
    Then we're in agreement. I am specifically trying to get a better look at how the training is being applied so that it may be better adapted to suit this dog. I can do better at that by seeing the training. T work, and other repetitive drill work can sure sour many dogs. But it isn't usually the drill that sours them. More often it's how the work is being done, and definitely how much of it. I'm not satisfied that I have enough info yet to make that assessment accurately. Once I get a better look at what's really going on here with this dog & trainer it may very well turn out to be simply time to move on. I just don't think we know that yet. Still waiting to hear from the OP on some video.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

I am at work today/night, and will get with you tommorow! I will try to get some video, but I have tried that as well in the past by myself, and its not easy holding a phone and videoing, and handling a dog at the same time ! HAHAHA

Evan I will Email you tommorow THANKS !
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    I am at work today/night, and will get with you tommorow! I will try to get some video, but I have tried that as well in the past by myself, and its not easy holding a phone and videoing, and handling a dog at the same time ! HAHAHA

Evan I will Email you tommorow THANKS !
    Use a tywrap or velcro wrap to attach your phone to a stickman pole or blind pole far enough behind and a little to the side of you so your handling and the dog are captured. You'll have to fiddle with it a little to get it aligned properly and still be able to press the record button.

Rowdy struggled getting through the T. But he really came into his own when we left the drugery of the T. I would be interested in seeing a video also. Conclusion MIGHT be to move on.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"