The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry in your upland vest?

Default What do you carry in your upland vest?

Just curious what others consider essential in their upland vest and why. I hunt in western Minnesota so I'm seldom more than a 30-45 minute walk to my vehicle and space is wide open so no need for a compass. My vehicle has a 1st aid kit for dogs and humans, a skunk kit and more water.

Here is my list

#5 Lead
    1 liter water bottle with squirter top
    dog treats
    plastic bag with baby wipes
    black electrician tape
    2' slip lead
    small hemostat
    Headband type ear warmer that goes over a ball cap (switch out to face mask as weather cools)
    Cell phone (either off or on vibrate)

My transmitter and whistle are on lanyards and I generally carry a swiss army knife too.

John Buesgens
    H2O Control Guy

Something I learned in the barn growing up. "Never walk behind a cow that is coughing."

I usually leave the med packs in the truck. I might carry a lunchable though.
    Last edited by HNTFSH; 11-07-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

A small squirt bottle of saline eye wash that you get in the eye care aisle of your local drug store. Great to flush your dogs eyes out when they get a bunch of crap in them. You can flush cuts and scrapes too. A small bottle can get you through until you get back to your truck or home. Danny

2 nalgene water bottles w/ collapsable bowl, Leatherman tool, license & ID, shells, slip lead, TP/Kleenex, 10 ml saline solution tubes, stocking cap, too many shells, phone and usually a two-way radio and e-collar transmitter - BIRDS, LOTS OF BIRDS! Happy hunting.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Once I was pheasant hunting with Mick and he got hung up in some barbed wire. He was bleeding profusely, it was both just pouring off of his front leg, and filling the space under his skin. So his leg was blowing up like a balloon. I was terrified that he was going to bleed to death before I could get him back to the truck, we were probably over a half mile out. I had my dad with me who after he was a firefighter became an emergency room nurse. He took my belt which was the elastic type and made a tourniquet and took care of the dog while I ran for my truck. The story ended well, we got Mick in the truck and to the vet & got him stitched up. That night my dad shows up with a roll of 3M Coban Self Adherent Wrap, pictured below. Now I NEVER go hunting without it, and I keep a nice first aid kit in my truck now, all year round for both hunting and training... That wrap works great if you need to wrap and put pressure on a wound to stop or slow bleeding. Just be careful not to over tighten it...

Last edited by Buzz; 11-07-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

On the best days, some spent rounds and some dead birds.

Irishwhistler

Suddenly I feel very underprepared. Usually I just carry the transmitter, whistle and shells, and on good days, a couple roosters, and my chew....at least one full can, might be a bad day without it. I mostly upland hunt in Kansas, usually a short walk to the truck if I need something. I keep first aid kit, lots of water, and food in the truck.

Agree with the items listed above .... But then throw in a couple of mini-Halloween candy bars (since they are usually around at our upland hunt time) for a quick "pick me up" should it be a longer walk back to the truck then originally thought.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Wow I feel like a slacker. I usually leave the truck with 10-15 shells in my pockets and maybe a pair of sunglasses. I wear my whistle on a lanyard around my neck, but that's it. I have first aid stuff back at the truck. I don't usually carry water in the field as there is always water in the form of ponds and creeks to cool the dogs out there. We typically drive to a field and spend two hours tops hunting that area, then back to the truck to try another area.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.

I used to love wearing a vest at the skeet range and also pheasant/quail hunting, but after awhile started feeling more like a pack mule, so now I opt for a blaze orange shirt with button up pockets and all I carry in those are a set of glass wipes and maybe a back up set of ear plugs...I usually wear a shotshell bag and cargo style pants with extra pockets, if its pheasants I will carry a game/duck strap
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"