The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Finding Breeder

Default Help with Finding Breeder

Anyone know of any good breeders in the Midwest (Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Arkansas, Oklahoma) that have labs for between $500 - $600? I know you get what you pay for but all I'm really looking for is a purebred lab that can retrieve and find ducks for me. It seems like when you look at breeders the dam and sire are grand masters meaning the breeders can charge you $1,000 and up for a pup. I have a friend that got a good lab for $400 from a breeder so i know they're out there. The parents of my friend's dog were hunting dogs but didn't do the field trials but the pup is 2 years old now and is a great hunter. The breeder just doesn't have a litter coming up for when i'm looking for. If anybody has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Best thing I can suggest is finding hobby breeders that are retriever/hunt test club members. And don't be concerned with taking a 10 week old from a good litter.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Oh - and be aware of people that say 'great hunters'. Seen several of those that can't find their food bowl.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

There are several ads in the Lab Pup Classifieds here that have what you are looking for.At least here you have the health certs stated.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking in the classifieds on here but haven't seen anything in my price range. But maybe i overlooked them, I'll keep checking.

Oh and not sure why but since i'm a new member i can't respond to private messages. I'm located in Kansas City, MO and don't mind driving 3 - 4 hours to pick up a dog. I was looking for hopefully a yellow male pup ready in February or March.

Gundog728,

The price of the pup will be the least expensive part of having a well trained and healthy dog! Please keep that in mind and find the best possible breeding with all of the health clearances you can find! Best!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Call Greg Nelson, he lives in/around Plattsburg. He trains dogs under the name Kansas City Retrievers. He will know someone if he doesn't have any of his own that he could sell you. Honest straight forward guy.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Videtto View Post
    ..... find the best possible breeding with all of the health clearances you can find!
    This ^^^^^^^

(Closest to your price range)
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I would definitely look for health clearances if you're looking in that price range. Sure one breeding may have a good hunting sire, but if both of the parents are not healthy then you'll be spending a lot more money down the line for that "budget" pup. A quality pup will be cleared from health issues and will be easier to train in most cases, but quality does not come cheap.