RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Favorite Duck Call

13K views 57 replies 47 participants last post by  Gordy Weigel 
#1 ·
What is your favorite and Why?

#2 ·
RNT short barrel for the woods. Easy to blow and has a great sound. Also carry the Banded Winter Hawk which is the Pure duck with a little more rasp and sounds great for any use. Cant go wrong with the Banded Pure Duck also.

#3 ·
Duck calls are very personal. I probably have two to three dozen and I switch them in and out. Right now I have two on my lanyard, a Glen Scooby wood and an acrylic DU call I got at a banquet years ago, I think it might be a RTN. The acrylic call is louder and a bit higher pitched, I use it for distance and use the woodier Scooby in close. Some inexpensive calls I have liked in the past are Mallardtone, Faulks and Haydels.

#4 ·
Your gonna laugh but I get the best response from my Dr 85....Jim

#9 ·
Atta boy!got a whole collection of 140.00 duck calls but the Dr 85 stays on the lanyard.now goose calls are a different story.....Jim

#10 ·
I used to use a Haydel Dr 85 until someones dog decided to leave their tooth marks on it along with my Haydel BWT call....never could pin the crime on any particular dog but saw a couple of guilty faces when interrogated...now I have a pair of RNT Quackheads a single reed and a double, not bad for a $20 call

#11 ·
Echo Timber, acrylic.

#19 ·
I've have a Ground Lil woods sweet meat. Nothing fancy about this call, has a short hedge barrel and a poly echo insert. I have 16 acrylic calls on the shelf and this has become my go to call. It's nice and quiet and can do everything I want it to. I've learned it's better to be quiet than loud, too many times ducks get blown out. I think duck calls save just as many ducks as they kill.

#21 ·
I just received my Zink ATM Green Machine and an very happy with it, its a good mid range call and can get pretty quiet, I have left it in a bowl of water for an hour and it did not stick at all. My echo meat hanger stuck a lot the last time I took it out, great sound but stuck to much for my liking.

#24 ·
Another call that most folks wont know, but sounds like a dang duck is the Pure Duck by Keith Allen. If you can find an original they are harrrrd to beat. Banded is making it again with the help of Keith, but have not blown it.

#25 ·
i personally like to mouth call, reelfoot style!

AINK....AINK...AINK....aink.....aink..........AINK.....AINK.....aink.....aink....aink......repeat.

i don't think it is very effective, but it sure is funny when you hook a big greenie in and someone you are hunting with who has never been to reelfoot freaks out!!!!!

#26 · (Edited)
DRT-Echo and a wood call a shop teacher in IA made.
It is called the "Double D," after Dean Downer.
The wood call gives a softer tone.

Neither one of them work all that well, but I like them!!!:shock:

#29 ·
I blow an RNT Daisy Cutter Diablo. Raspy and you can get that ducky squeel with it.

#31 ·
Only one mallard call for me. For almost forty years I have blown a Sure Shot Deluxe. I have three and my favorite has a few tooth marks from a long time gone blf that eas one hell of a duck dog. She did not blow the call she just picked it up one day as a pup and left her mark on it. I hope to be buried with that call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.