The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "British Labs". Why?

Default "British Labs". Why?

First... what IS a British lab? Is it an import? Is it the off-spring of imports? Is there a certain % of the genetic material that has to be from "British" Labs? Is it a deliberate strategy by US breeders to exclude American/Canadian lines from a pedigree? Do "British" labs have a different conformation? ARe they less susceptible to, i.e., not carriers of hereditary maladies? (And if you narrow any gene pool... aren't you inviting a whole 'nother set of genetic problems?)

The labs I see on You Tube clips from UK FT's look lean and muscular about like the ones you see around here. And they were beautifully under control... but they were competing on a Championship level, so... I'd expect they would have been trained to excel at the sport the way the Brits play it.

Are there breeders in Great Britain who advertise "North American Labrador" puppies?

Are Golden Retriever breeders in the US smitten with "British" Goldens?

Does anyone in the UK have the stuff it would take to try the truly American Retriever... the Chessie.

But mostly... do "British Lab" owners in the US have a fondness for tweed and Wellies and send their dogs with the wrong hand?

My understanding is that the English Labrador has a modified breed similar to field.
    My penny worth.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    First... what IS a British lab? Is it an import? Is it the off-spring of imports? Is there a certain % of the genetic material that has to be from "British" Labs? Is it a deliberate strategy by US breeders to exclude American/Canadian lines from a pedigree? Do "British" labs have a different conformation? ARe they less susceptible to, i.e., not carriers of hereditary maladies? (And if you narrow any gene pool... aren't you inviting a whole 'nother set of genetic problems?)

The labs I see on You Tube clips from UK FT's look lean and muscular about like the ones you see around here. And they were beautifully under control... but they were competing on a Championship level, so... I'd expect they would have been trained to excel at the sport the way the Brits play it.

Are there breeders in Great Britain who advertise "North American Labrador" puppies?

Does anyone in the UK have the stuff it would take to try the truly American Retriever... the Chessie.

But mostly... do "British Lab" owners in the US have a fondness for tweed and Wellies and send their dogs with the wrong hand?
    If you ever feel the need to embark on a new career, consider the charter fishing business. You sure can troll with the best of 'em!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post

There was a time. In the 80s Holway Barty was imported to the US from Great Britain he sired multiple field champions including FC/AFC Topbrass Cotton. People tried to duplicate that by import other British Goldens it never happened again and people gave up on the idea.

i find them less animated.

Would not like to see you in the charter business because captains have a mic. Then again, you'd make a great mate.

... what IS a British lab?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Pure genius, Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Pure genius, Ken!

No Kiddin...lol
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Leave it to Ken! How do you think of these things?

Ken that Brain of yours! Amazing! British Lab you are something else RTN resident genius.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)