The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "British Labs". Why?

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Leave it to Ken! How do you think of these things?
    My thoughts exactly!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Back to the question.
    IMHAOEO
    "British Labs" is an American term for labrador retriever out of conformation stock. It has, for the most part, nothing to do with the country of origin. As has already been pointed out, the British field dogs look very much like the North American field dogs and both look very different than the conformation dogs.
    UH HRCH Oakridgertvr Tynan Express "Ty" 2005-2012 RIP GOOD Buddy
    HR Castile Creek Cinnamon Tia "Tia" 2010
    Duxbac Double Expresso "Levi" 2013
    Bryon Samis

Quote Originally Posted by duxbac View Post
    Back to the question.
    IMHAOEO
    "British Labs" is an American term for labrador retriever out of conformation stock. It has, for the most part, nothing to do with the country of origin. As has already been pointed out, the British field dogs look very much like the North American field dogs and both look very different than the conformation dogs.
    This actually is not so.....British labs stem from British Field trial stock, ENGLISH labs are what people generically call show dogs
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Ken!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    This actually is not so.....British labs stem from British Field trial stock, ENGLISH labs are what people generically call show dogs
    Agreed, Bridget!

The important thing is to decide what is politically correct, as to not insult the dogs. As stated above the true “American Retriever is the Chessie”. The Labrador came from some island up around Newfoundland, but I cant remember the name of it?????????? Something like retrieverland, Webfootedville or something like that. “maybe someone more in tune with Geography can help”

So do the dogs prefer to be calls Labradors no mater where they come from?
    Do USA stock want to be called Labrador Americans or just plain Labrador?
    Do British stock want to be British Labradors? What if they live in the USA but come from British stock are they British Americans????
    What if they just come from a back yard litter and you don’t know what stock they come from????? Do we call them Dog?? “ I just asked my pup, he is from a back yard litter what did he prefer.. He answered from the middle of his king size bed “what is a dog?????”..
    Im so confused now….. Ken I guess im gona have to get a chessie at least I will know what to call him as to not hurt his feelings.
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Maybe to you but to the uninformed ignorant public any lab with the blocky head and stocky body (what I connect to conformation) is called British or English labs simply because of those traits. Key words here are uninformed and ignorant. Very unfair to the nicely bred UK field bred retrievers. The Labrador is a truly amazing dog. It has endured what us humans have done or tried to do to it where other breeds have not been so fortunate.

I've Sold 1 Female Labrador from British Field Lines; I was content to describe her such; as her sire was a KC Field Champ (frozen AI); and her Mother (AKC registered) was an import out of KC registered British field stock (with British-Irish performance titles). If you got out the pedigree and looked back the mother was the only AKC registered dog; It looked to be a pretty impressive British field pedigree; cost the guy a bunch of $$ to purchase the pup, which he later sold as a started dog. She was a little soft for his taste and did not do well with the e-collar training program which he put her on, she also didn't look anything like the block headed show lab; I think he wanted. I would condone describing a dog out of British stock if You have 2 print out both AKC and KC pedigrees; to trace registration's # and performance titles; so most likely you'd have to have a KC registered dog with British Performance titles in the 3 generation pedigree. After that I think it gets a little iffy, on the lines being British-Irish; I'd want at least 2nd generation to have British-Irish performance titles as well, before I'd describe them as British Field Stock
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Being uninformed at the time I would get pretty frustrated trying to explain the difference between my British lab. After awhile I would just say that he was from breeder in Michigan and therefore an American lab or I would say that Labs originated in Britain, so all labs are British.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

the dog in my avatar father was an Irish import. Help understand is Purple a English or British Lab born on American soil?