The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "British Labs". Why?

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    I don't care what breed or what country. I have seen that video before and always like watching it. Pure enjoyment thanks Colonel.
    Never saw that before, awesom video, I've got chills.

Thanks Eug,
    Lovely video for the BASC.

Nice piece of dog work there. Game finding is of upmost performance across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    Nah, shouldn't think so.

Eug
    Beautiful film clip.

Those two videos were incredible. I appreciate the trainability of our FT dogs, but I've got to tell you, the perseverance of these two dogs gives me chills. Those are retrievers! Fantastic noses!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Hmmm, why do they have such long retrieves in Field Trials? How would a dog ever have to retrieve a duck that far? My gun can only shoot a duck out to 40-50 yards.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Hmmm, why do they have such long retrieves in Field Trials? How would a dog ever have to retrieve a duck that far? My gun can only shoot a duck out to 40-50 yards.
    They don't hunt anything like a typical, American, drop two in the decoys duck hunt. For instance, on a driven shoot... they have beaters, shooters, and pickers. The beaters are in the woods with spaniels (usually) jumping up game. The shooters are in a clearing or even the woods sometimes, but in the direction that the beaters are pushing the birds. The pickers, with their labradors, are sometimes a good piece away from action. They mark all of the game that is killed, sending their dogs on the crippled runners immediately and picking up (hence the name) the dead game after the drive has ended. This means some retrieves may be 50 yards, but some may be upwards of 250 yards.

You actually bring up an interesting point. Some have asked, on this forum, whether or not there are people in the UK looking for American Labradors. Well, there may be, but I highly doubt the demand is anything comparable to the people over here looking for British Labradors. You see, their trial games aren't just "like" a day's hunt, it actually IS a day's hunt. Of course, the purpose of the hunt is the trial, but their hunting and trialing are done in such close proximity that an excellent trial dog is perfectly fit to be an excellent hunting dog.

I am not saying that American FC dogs aren't fit for American hunting styles, but the hot ones can be a bit tough, I assume. I am only making this assumption based on the multiple threads posted here every few months about issues such as breaking, noise, hyper-activity in the holding blinds, etc. Now, I'm certainly not "ranking" one dog above another. The things that an American FC dog is capable of doing are simply incredible... there's no other way to describe it. I'm just saying that, when it comes to a labrador bred to hunt game, the Brits have their trials dialed in to test just that. When you transfer that over to our style of hunting, although there are many differences, the dogs that are bred in high demand are very good with their noses, very quiet, very steady, and, if they have won trials to earn a FTCH, very fast and stylish. For the average duck hunter/handler, this type of dog is much easier to control than one who has the fire power necessary to succeed in the American trials. Thus, the demand for British dogs continues to increase in America, much to the disgust of many American FC guys.

I think they both have their places, and I think they both excel in them. I just wish everyone realized that we aren't on different teams here. I would hate to see the market for American FC dogs decrease, because these games are a huge part of our sportsmanship activities and they are great for the dogs! It's like two churches fighting over differences... eventually you have to realize that the Satan is the enemy, not the church down the street who does things just a little differently than you do.
    -Barton Ramsey

What they SAY when I ask that questions is "birds not killed enough to tumble out of the sky will set their wings and sail quite a way away..." But the real answer is "we have to pick a winner and too many good dogs can do a good job at realistic distances."

The clip of the Chessie doesn't show us the shot. But that retrieve was a (literal) "out to sea" blind. I think that maybe the bird had drifted quite a way?

Every hunter knows that a bird that has been hit, at no matter what range does one of two things; collapse in short order or fly on. The distance that a wounded bird can travel is remarkable; on a local driven shoot some couple of years ago both "Eddie" and I spotted a hen pheasant flinch a bit in the air and come to ground a long way off in a neck of woodland. I sent the old boy out for it and afterwards measured on an Ordnance Survey map how far it was before he came to terms. As best as I could judge it was 450 metres.

Below is a pic taken from a regular picking up spot of ours, about 300 -350 metres behind the Guns. On every drive we find pricked birds in the woodland behind us; to the point that it's the first area I send "Jack" (aka Supersnozzle) into whilst the other dogs work the slope in front picking off the marks both dead and running.

Where they are hit is a different kettle of fish from where they land. Wether in the US or UK dogs have to find birds from many hundreds of metres away from where they are shot. So that's why.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 11-10-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I am pretty sure there should be a sarcasm smiley here..............
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com