The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Length of time when a dog is sent to a pro

Default Length of time when a dog is sent to a pro

How long of a time do the majority of pro trainers take training dogs and what can you expect the dogs to have learned?

It depends how far along you want the dog to be. 4 months seems to be average for the average dog. However some dogs after 4 months are not ready for a junior and some dogs after 4 months can breeze through a senior.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Depends on what you want. There is no set time frame.
    Good hunting dog probably four months. If you want basics shown on Mike Lardys free down loadable flow chart 4-6 months.
    There are lots of pro trainer websites that outline their programs with time frames and goals. Look at a few of the ones close to you. Where ever that is.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-08-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

It takes what it takes. I like to have em for atleast 6 months. In 6 months I expect a dog to be running cold blinds both land and water...albeit they may not be overly difficult. Much more than that and I start wondering about the quality of the dog. But, it takes what it takes and I dont like washing dogs till we're running blinds.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Had my new pup with a pro for 3 months, she came right along up until he started forcing her to piles, she did ok, but her work ethic would be a bit short at times....after a time our trainer decided she was a bit immature and after we spoke he suggested having me taking her home for a few weeks and then do another 10-12 weeks after she has matured a bit more. Goal here was to save me money and help the dog along at a pace that suited her. My bad, as I probably started her earlier than I should have, I noticed this tendency when I was doing her initial obedience training with her. So the way I would answer this question, as this is the 5th dog I have had trained by a pro...is it depends on the dog. Most of my dogs were ready for Junior Hunt tests after two month, getting them to the Senior Hunt Test level would be more likely 4-6 months, depending on the dog.....

Hope I can find some answers in this thread. I've had one in training for 6 years, another on and off for 4 or 5, and another for just a year. And there are days when you might swear that one or the other hasn't had a day of training in its life...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hope I can find some answers in this thread. I've had one in training for 6 years, another on and off for 4 or 5, and another for just a year. And there are days when you might swear that one or the other hasn't had a day of training in its life...
    I can relate to that except my pro says the dog has hope. Me, welllllll not so much.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Better to send them for too long than not enough.

Six months, if enough is better than 4 months and bringing the dog home to save two months training bills. Instead of saving two months you may have wasted 4 months...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Obviously I'm doing something wrong if there are dogs out there that can breeze through Senior tests with only 4 months of training. I would suspect that a dog that is running at that level after 4 months has some pretty big holes in their basics. One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

What did your pro say? I am assuming you are in direct contact with he or she....If there are doubts....Speak up now and not later with your pro.