The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Length of time when a dog is sent to a pro

Obviously I'm doing something wrong if there are dogs out there that can breeze through Senior tests with only 4 months of training. I would suspect that a dog that is running at that level after 4 months has some pretty big holes in their basics. One man's opinion.
    I would think there wouldn't be any if they are breezing through.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

What are you guys talking about, 4 to 6 months?
    Dogs are in training their whole life as long as they can hang and stay healthy.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hope I can find some answers in this thread. I've had one in training for 6 years, another on and off for 4 or 5, and another for just a year. And there are days when you might swear that one or the other hasn't had a day of training in its life...
    Ain't it the truth!
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hope I can find some answers in this thread. I've had one in training for 6 years, another on and off for 4 or 5, and another for just a year. And there are days when you might swear that one or the other hasn't had a day of training in its life...
    Amen! Mine was in training for 5 months his first time. His obedience, blind manners, and marking were all pretty good so I sent him back to get some handling training. He has been back 4 times since then. He has an HRCH title and is a MH with about 15 Master passes. This fall, he acted like a MORON! Went out in the first series of a Master Test and also went out in the first series of the Master National. Two weeks later, he went to the Grand and MURDERED it!!!! I can't figger it out!
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

We had our female with a "so-called" pro in NC for 7 mos. We visited once a month after first three months and she seemed to be making progress. We found out later that he would rehearse her on whatever he wanted to show us the day before we came to see her. We took her home and soon realized that her basics were poor at best - shopping, dropping, cigaring. Took all summer and help of a real dog trainer to get her back on track. She even got a JAM in a derby! Be careful and try to keep close tabs on your dog. This character came with lots of recommedations which were not well founded. The best pro we ever used had the dog steady, force fetched, land and water forced and started handling in 3 months.

My experience mirrors Pats'. Highly recomended trainer. The dog spent 5 months there and I couldn't have been more disapointed. Likewise I believe he would practice a couple exercises just before my visits and Gauge would struggle through them. Meanwhile the trainer praised the dogs ability.
    The money is replaceable but the dog will never be what he could have been and my time cannot be replaced.

I am all for utilizing a professional trainer. But as some of the above replys indicate. Have a written plan. Know what the expectations are and be reasonable. Be prepared to respond if the results are not showing.

I like the idea of taking the dog home for a period of time after 4-5 months of training. That period of time might only be a week or it might be a month or a season. This gives you the owner a chance to see what you'd like to see improved. This plan is not so simple if you've chosen a trainer several states away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    How long of a time do the majority of pro trainers take training dogs and what can you expect the dogs to have learned?
    How long does it take to train a good retriever?

"It takes a lifetime but, you only get 10 years" Unknown
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Dogs are in training their whole life as long as they can hang and stay healthy.
    Best reply on the thread!!!!!
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post

This quote needs to be repeated, dogs require training their entire completing life. And if you as the owner are not capable of 4-5 days of training per week with a level of skills & access to grounds over 8 months per year to match the work done by effective pros then you need to leave your dog with the pro or don't waste your money to start with.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    This quote needs to be repeated, dogs require training their entire completing life. And if you as the owner are not capable of 4-5 days of training per week with a level of skills & access to grounds over 8 months per year to match the work done by effective pros then you need to leave your dog with the pro or don't waste your money to start with.
    I guess it matters what your goals and expectations are. We have two young ones with a pro and while they are too young for us to know yet whether that money is wasted, we have two at home that we train only on weekends (if we are not running). If we expected to qualify for nationals or even win AA trials, then I would agree we are wasting our entry fees. Instead, we run our dogs, try to do better each season, try to become better handlers with what we have to work with and enjoy the journey. I wouldn't call it wasted money. It might be an investment with a long and uncertain payoff, perhaps, but it is certainly fun and something we can do together. We just look for the small victories and hope that while we may not get called back all the time, at least we aren't having to do the walk of shame regularly any more.