RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Length of time when a dog is sent to a pro

5K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Al Bianchi 
#1 ·
How long of a time do the majority of pro trainers take training dogs and what can you expect the dogs to have learned?

#2 ·
It depends how far along you want the dog to be. 4 months seems to be average for the average dog. However some dogs after 4 months are not ready for a junior and some dogs after 4 months can breeze through a senior.
Pete

#3 · (Edited)
Depends on what you want. There is no set time frame.
Good hunting dog probably four months. If you want basics shown on Mike Lardys free down loadable flow chart 4-6 months.
There are lots of pro trainer websites that outline their programs with time frames and goals. Look at a few of the ones close to you. Where ever that is.

#4 ·
It takes what it takes. I like to have em for atleast 6 months. In 6 months I expect a dog to be running cold blinds both land and water...albeit they may not be overly difficult. Much more than that and I start wondering about the quality of the dog. But, it takes what it takes and I dont like washing dogs till we're running blinds.

#5 ·
Had my new pup with a pro for 3 months, she came right along up until he started forcing her to piles, she did ok, but her work ethic would be a bit short at times....after a time our trainer decided she was a bit immature and after we spoke he suggested having me taking her home for a few weeks and then do another 10-12 weeks after she has matured a bit more. Goal here was to save me money and help the dog along at a pace that suited her. My bad, as I probably started her earlier than I should have, I noticed this tendency when I was doing her initial obedience training with her. So the way I would answer this question, as this is the 5th dog I have had trained by a pro...is it depends on the dog. Most of my dogs were ready for Junior Hunt tests after two month, getting them to the Senior Hunt Test level would be more likely 4-6 months, depending on the dog.....

#6 ·
Hope I can find some answers in this thread. I've had one in training for 6 years, another on and off for 4 or 5, and another for just a year. And there are days when you might swear that one or the other hasn't had a day of training in its life...

#7 ·
I can relate to that except my pro says the dog has hope. Me, welllllll not so much.

#14 ·
Amen! Mine was in training for 5 months his first time. His obedience, blind manners, and marking were all pretty good so I sent him back to get some handling training. He has been back 4 times since then. He has an HRCH title and is a MH with about 15 Master passes. This fall, he acted like a MORON! Went out in the first series of a Master Test and also went out in the first series of the Master National. Two weeks later, he went to the Grand and MURDERED it!!!! I can't figger it out!

#8 ·
Better to send them for too long than not enough.

Six months, if enough is better than 4 months and bringing the dog home to save two months training bills. Instead of saving two months you may have wasted 4 months...

#9 ·
Obviously I'm doing something wrong if there are dogs out there that can breeze through Senior tests with only 4 months of training. I would suspect that a dog that is running at that level after 4 months has some pretty big holes in their basics. One man's opinion.

#11 ·
Obviously I'm doing something wrong if there are dogs out there that can breeze through Senior tests with only 4 months of training. I would suspect that a dog that is running at that level after 4 months has some pretty big holes in their basics. One man's opinion.
I would think there wouldn't be any if they are breezing through.
Pete

#12 ·
What are you guys talking about, 4 to 6 months?
Dogs are in training their whole life as long as they can hang and stay healthy.

#15 ·
We had our female with a "so-called" pro in NC for 7 mos. We visited once a month after first three months and she seemed to be making progress. We found out later that he would rehearse her on whatever he wanted to show us the day before we came to see her. We took her home and soon realized that her basics were poor at best - shopping, dropping, cigaring. Took all summer and help of a real dog trainer to get her back on track. She even got a JAM in a derby! Be careful and try to keep close tabs on your dog. This character came with lots of recommedations which were not well founded. The best pro we ever used had the dog steady, force fetched, land and water forced and started handling in 3 months.

#16 ·
My experience mirrors Pats'. Highly recomended trainer. The dog spent 5 months there and I couldn't have been more disapointed. Likewise I believe he would practice a couple exercises just before my visits and Gauge would struggle through them. Meanwhile the trainer praised the dogs ability.
The money is replaceable but the dog will never be what he could have been and my time cannot be replaced.

I am all for utilizing a professional trainer. But as some of the above replys indicate. Have a written plan. Know what the expectations are and be reasonable. Be prepared to respond if the results are not showing.

I like the idea of taking the dog home for a period of time after 4-5 months of training. That period of time might only be a week or it might be a month or a season. This gives you the owner a chance to see what you'd like to see improved. This plan is not so simple if you've chosen a trainer several states away.

#21 · (Edited)
Break-out work is usually 4-6 mt; depends on the dog; but most pros require a 4 mt commitment for break-out work (OB, CC, FF), dog Should be to able to run JH after that (when I say ready I mean (skill-set is solid) as to breeze through and pass every test, not to Luck 'em)
As work advances time tables adjust to the dog.
But generally handling for a dog with the same Pro (same program) that has break-out work = 6-8mts (FTP, water Force etc.) should be ready for SH (skill-not luck) after that.
Advance work there is no time table on, dog is continuously learning and becoming very solid on all aspects, Dog can usually come and go from home; but figure a week or so to get dog back into running shape; (depending on foundation and how long he's been home) before he can learn new things.
If you switch Pros; adapting time is ~1-2mt, if you came from a solid foundation; if dog has issues;it can take a bunch of time, and a bunch of re-teaching (too fix things)
Still you should check in on your dogs skills every 4-6mt; and be seeing progress; and it's better if you can come out and learn some things as your dog is learning them.

Everything goes well and you leave the dog in you should have a handling dog @ ~1.5-2 yrs. and a solid master dog @ 3-4 yrs. Pro Running them
Add more time for your training on how to run the dog; this equals advanced work, and starts to depend on the handler (so for me...5-6 yrs and I'm still not great)

So you want to hunt your dog?
Most of my friends put a dog in for Break-out work, Hunt a season, then put the dog in for Handling work; hunt a season. Then dog goes back ~1-2mt tune-up prior to season every year. and they have a solid hunting dog from 3yrs. on

Frame of Reference; I have a pup will turn 1yr end of this month; (Half-me and Half Pro) trained; she has passed a NAHRA Intermediate (basically SH level)-a solid pass (I put her in to see what would happen, and I ran her). Still I consider it a Luck pass, she's has the skill-set but is not solid; not a what I would be lining up entry fees for yet, we'll test it again in another ~2-5 mt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.