The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending off a two year old and seeking trainer near central ky!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Unless the OP is Bobby Petrino's new assistant at Western KY, or on the Calipari payroll at UK, those numbers may be a touch out of her reach
    I know - having two in college myself I get it. Should I get a better price too? It is what it is, isn't it?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Kentucky Labradors View Post
    They are fairly high. I could manage a few months at that price level(maybe for the advanced stuff) but would like someone a little less costly for the basics or for the majority of the training.
    I'd reverse that. It's actually solid basics and a highly defined platform that makes the fancy stuff easier to train ones self. Try and invert a pyramid and keep it from toppling over. Lot easier to teach blinds the first time with solid foundation than it is properly Force Fetching and Collar Conditioning a dog.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Kentucky Labradors View Post
    Paducah is a long ways from me. Brody delivers to hand with a lot of voice commands. I have read the akc's requirements for the hunt tests but I do have some confusion. You cant talk after you signal for birds, does this include commands like signaling and commands to heel/sit when your dog returns to you?
    They are fairly high. I could manage a few months at that price level(maybe for the advanced stuff) but would like someone a little less costly for the basics or for the majority of the training.
    You can talk to them after the judge says dog as long as you aren't intimidating them (yelling). The only time you can't talk to them is when the guns are going off. And if you have to say "hold" to him to get him to deliver to hand, that is ok, too. Once they release you to send the dog, you can talk.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Lloyd Moore Lodi Kennels has trained two labs of mine and my son's hard headed Chessie. Very happy with the results. In another six months he will be training by new Chessie. I felt his monthly prices was very reasonable. Phone number is 270/488-3848.

Skip Campbell

If you are truly new to the sport of retriever training allow me to offer a few points not mentioned.
    The nearest of a trainer to a client is important but not the most important.
    What they charge is important but long forgotten if the success is there

With that said there are a number of accomplished trainers in your area what do you want to accomplish, hunt, a good companion, hrc work ,akc ht work or to field trail. Each level takes time and money resources. The higher your ambition the more resources it takes.

A suggestion to consider after your phone conversations with potential trainers is to go and spend time, watch their work with older more accomplished dogs then watch work with dogs at the same skill level as yours.
    Not all trainers are the same as each has their own way. And like people all dogs do not fit every trainers style.
    Ask questions and have eyes open. Ask questions about their success, how many Grand passes, master national plates, master passes, field champions and so on. Ask to speak to current clients and past clients. Ask questions
    We all were once where you are today,enjoy
    The ride
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    If you are truly new to the sport of retriever training allow me to offer a few points not mentioned.

With that said there are a number of accomplished trainers in your area what do you want to accomplish, hunt, a good companion, hrc work ,akc ht work or to field trail. Each level takes time and money resources. The higher your ambition the more resources it takes.

A suggestion to consider after your phone conversations with potential trainers is to go and spend time, watch their work with older more accomplished dogs then watch work with dogs at the same skill level as yours.
    Not all trainers are the same as each has their own way. And like people all dogs do not fit every trainers style.
    Ask questions and have eyes open. Ask questions about their success, how many Grand passes, master national plates, master passes, field champions and so on. Ask to speak to current clients and past clients. Ask questions
    The ride
    Dk
    This is VERY good advice from someone that has been in the game a long time. I would do this if I were in your shoes and wanted a pro. Good luck!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post

The ride
    Dk

Very sound advice.... I based my recommendation of Steve Earick at Misty Morning Retrievers on many days spent in the field with him watching the interaction with him and the dogs of all levels that he was training... plus he's a good guy too....
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Another option would be John Bassett out of Hartford.

X2 for john ! but he will be heading south soon, and I'm pretty sure the truck is full. Where in ky do you live ? I'm in bowling green and train regularly.

Steve Faith is another good choice.