The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: GDG - Midwest storms yesterday

Default GDG - Midwest storms yesterday

We had some pretty heavy weather around these parts yesterday, including a funnel cloud sighting by official weather service spotters over the little burg I live in up here in the Frozen Tundra. The watches and warnings had been coming all morning, so I was ready - upon hearing the radio blare out the funnel report emergency, I immediately hustled the dogs into the basement.... and then, like a fool, bolted back upstairs to run outside and look around. Fortunately my town is small in population but expansive enough area-wise that I was not under any immediate threat since the funnel did not materialize into anything more. Lots of wind damage and downed tress but no injuries. About 30 miles north of me, 100 mph straight line winds - confirmed by the NWS today - obliterated barns and farm structures - fortunately a sparsely populated area, again no injuries reported.

That being said, there are many not so fortunate in the greater midwest: mid, southern Illinois and Indiana got the brunt of it, Michigan and Kentucky hit as well. Several 'eye witness' interviews were folks from towns that I have driven through many times on the way south, or to several of the trials in that general area: Mid Illinois, Paducah, River King, Michiana.

I saw some news footage of Washington, Illinois (@15-20 miles due east of Peoria), and the poor town is flattened, people injured, fatalities....the twister has been categorized an EF4. According to weatherunderground, there were 87 tornadoes and 26 funnel clouds reported by spotters in yesterday's outbreak.

So shout out to all of our retriever friends living in that area, with hopes that they, family, friends and dogs all are safe and sound.

We had two tornadoes rip thru my home town. We personally were very lucky to have zero damage. Unfortunately a lot of Kokomo was not as lucky. A lot of work to be done around here! Prayers sent to anyone who did have damage resulting from the storm
    River Bottom Retrievers

HRCH River Bottom Riparian Backwater MH - "Timber"
    (FC Riparian Windfall X HRCH Drenicks Castile Creek Allie MH)

River Bottoms Simply Elegant - "Pearl"
    (FC Drake's Bay Parting Of The Sea X Oldsquaw's Miss Darla QAA)

River Bottoms Leather N Lace - "Lacey"
    (FC AFC Wood River's Franchise X CFC Baypoints My Girl)

www.RiverBottomRetrievers.net

Quote Originally Posted by 3blackdogs View Post

I saw some news footage of Washington, Illinois (@15-20 miles due east of Peoria), and the poor town is flattened, people injured, fatalities....the twister has been categorized an EF4. According to weatherunderground, there were 87 tornadoes and 26 funnel clouds reported by spotters in yesterday's outbreak.

So shout out to all of our retriever friends living in that area, with hopes that they, family, friends and dogs all are safe and sound.

The weather service has said they were clocking winds around here at between 160-200mph. On the news last night they were going to start letting families go back to their leveled homes today, I think. They had a curfew of 6pm for the past couple days. From what I have heard from friends that live in Washington, IL. They(Law Enforcement) was being extremely picky on who they were letting go back and who they were not letting back into the area. Why, I have no idea. But it sounds like for safety reasons. Anyway, my prayers go out to those that were in the eye of the storm and godspeed to those that didnt' make it.
    Last edited by RJW; 11-19-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gasaway View Post
    We had two tornadoes rip thru my home town. We personally were very lucky to have zero damage. Unfortunately a lot of Kokomo was not as lucky. A lot of work to be done around here! Prayers sent to anyone who did have damage resulting from the storm
    Saw on ABC news pics of Kokomo and the devastation was a mess there and Illinois. Awful!Hope they can get help at this time of year and weather remains calm. Easier said than done! My thoughts are with them.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray