The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Sit-Stay

Default Sit-Stay

Quick question. When my pup was young and had an understanding of sit/stay I used to make him stay for 5-10 mins to teach him patience before moving on to our lesson for the day. It calmed and focused him so he was ready. This fall we have only hunted upland and because of his high puppy energy levels I probably won't get him out for a waterfowl hunt this fall - at least not a very long one. However, I have a feeling when I do he will struggle with sitting still and being quiet. What does everyone do to prepare a dog for sitting in a blind for an hour or 2? Should I go back to placing him on a sit and extend the periods of time he sits there? What is your plan of action in preparing a pup for the blind.

asking a dog to sit on the ready in a blind for an hour is unrealistic...what I like to do is let the dog relax in between flights, scratch the dogs ear, talk to the dog..An experienced hunting dog knows that its GO time when I reach for calls or pick up the shotgun, lots of times the dog will spot the birds long before I do,in fact I will watch the dog to let me know when the birds are getting close so I dont look up and flare them off with my movement
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I also let the dogs relax between flights. When we are goose hunting, I let them run around a bit between flocks coming in. My older dog will lie down and wait for the action to start. The younger dog is staked down near me so I can concentrate on calling thoe birds in. She has some laxity and can sit or lay down.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

onguard.jpgI have a 16 month old yellow male that is a talented, trained, and excitable as the next 16 month old. I've never been to a group training session, a hunt test or a field trial that comes remotely close to simulating an actual waterfowl hunt where the dog is required to sit for (sometimes) hours between shots.
    After a few hundred hours of training and hundreds of retrieves (a thousand retrieves?), when we took our young dog on his first waterfowl hunt this year, it was as if he had never received a minute of training and had never heard a duck call or a gun being racked. Worse, he was actually vocal, a behavior that he had never before exhibited in training or at tests.
    But here's the important point: This totally unacceptable state of affairs only lasted for about the first hour of the first hunt. After that he settled right into his role as a well behaved, well trained, reliable hunting partner. And with his first real hunt behind him he has been a pure joy on each subsequent hunt.
    In my view, putting up with an hour or so of nonsesnse on the first hunt (or two) is a small price to pay for the joy of being able to share a real hunt with a young dog.
    It's not like these dogs live forever. Bury a few of them at 8-12 years of age and it makes you appreciate just how valuable every hunting season really is.
    Last edited by 36bound; 11-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Its funny how calm and cool my dog can be almost all the time. He will retrieve anything I ask him to and does drills in the yard like a seasoned vet. Now first morning in the blind when calling and gun fire went off he was gonna break and knew he would. I put a slip lead on him and stood on the end so he couldnt break and after about 20 minutes and few retrieves didnt have to put it back on him. Now onto the drills and casting first time I sent him on a retrieve he couldnt see the bird down and was about 25 yards just off edge of hole. Sent on dead bird back he swam out about 15 yards and started swimming in circles (little laugh by my partners in the blind) corrected that and he made a good retrieve. Its funny how all the hours we spend training and going over drills and dogs perform great during all of it they get a mental brain fart their first time in a real hunt. All this to say I am more than excited to see how the hunt goes next week.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

On a recent Duck Hunt Gunner was expected to sit on stand as long as it took for ducks to be shot. It was a terrible day He sat on stand eyes looking to the sky for several hrs. No he did not jump off or get anxious and pump his feet. Sit means sit as we know. Sit Stay is an obedience command. Just "SIT" is a field command nothing else. Gunner has broken at a field trial and as steady as he seams now, He will probably break again. They say there are 2 types of trial dogs those that break and those who will break. You set the standard and the dog will adhere.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

My husband told me that he finds a few sticks for our “Penny” to chew while he waits for birds. HA HA ... She can formal sit/stay for a very long time but ... in a blind its a different world. Remember: Dog not robot It will take practice and repetition (like any training / learning) for the dog to get into the swing of things. Set realistic goals and build upon them. Have a great season!
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD (GN1) RA OA NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA OA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN RN SH
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QA2)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC HOF “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA OA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN RN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    asking a dog to sit on the ready in a blind for an hour is unrealistic...what I like to do is let the dog relax in between flights, scratch the dogs ear, talk to the dog..An experienced hunting dog knows that its GO time when I reach for calls or pick up the shotgun, lots of times the dog will spot the birds long before I do,in fact I will watch the dog to let me know when the birds are getting close so I dont look up and flare them off with my movement
    What is said here. This gets the dog to know what you are expecting of him and gets you to know your dog. Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey