The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best flooring for home with dog(s)...

Angry Best flooring for home with dog(s)...

My sweet but suddenly destructive 7-month pup has now cost me more money. While in his wire kennel, he managed to start ripping up the Berber carpeting in the family room. The plastic tray that was in the crate was a little small for the kennel and he could reach the carpet along the edge and start pulling. I then moved his kennel to the kitchen and he managed to start ripping up the linoleum. I then put him in a slightly larger wire kennel which has the correct size tray. Well, when I got home today from running errands (for maybe an hour) he was able to rip more flooring in the kitchen. He managed to somehow crack the tray completely in half and get to the floor underneath. Im so surprised at this as he really likes his kennel and settles down nicely in it. He usually has a bone in there with him also. The longest he is usually in there is four hours while I am at work. Guess he needs more exercise to tire him out before he gets put away.

So ... since I will have to replace the carpeting in the family room and flooring in the kitchen, Id like to know what everyone feels is a good flooring for a home with dogs.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

If it is any consolation my pup chewed the dining table even though she was in an X-pen.

I have oak floors, they work pretty good.
    Renee P

Becky, the main reason we rented the house we have now is because the entire downstairs in real mexican tile. Not a stick of carpet or square of linoleum. The stairs and upstairs are hardwood, but we can get rid of the scratches with a little elbow grease and wax. This has been great. The only downside, is that the dogs can and do slip and slide if they get rambunctious. Lots of area rugs might be a good idea.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My house is tile and laminate wood flooring with large area rugs.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Hardwood Flooring in most of our house and it seems to work well. We do have linoleum in the kitchen, and our pup has been tearing up the edge...he found a weakness somewhere and works at it whenever he can get to it...grrrr...

Our guy has also cracked the plastic tray in his wire kennel, and I'm planning on getting a horse stall rubber mat to put down in there. Evidently, they're so heavy and tough that he shouldn't be able to destroy it...at least not right away, lol.

Wood floors,easier to clean, cool during the summer, we just put down the dog beds so its very clear which place is theirs, unfortunately they play "king of the Hill' for the corner spot on the couch next to Clint
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

You guys make me feel better. My last litter started pulling up the carpet off the stairs - course the carpet is probably 20 yrs old anyway, but I was ashamed to let it be known. Upstairs is wood laminate & tile.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
    Hardwood Flooring in most of our house and it seems to work well. We do have linoleum in the kitchen, and our pup has been tearing up the edge...he found a weakness somewhere and works at it whenever he can get to it...grrrr...

Our guy has also cracked the plastic tray in his wire kennel, and I'm planning on getting a horse stall rubber mat to put down in there. Evidently, they're so heavy and tough that he shouldn't be able to destroy it...at least not right away, lol.
    The plastic trays tend to crack unless on carpet. The newer crates, even high end ones seem to have thinner plastic and it splits easier.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Here is what we have. Nearly indestructible.

http://www.floridatile.com/products/berkshire

My entire house is stained concrete. The stairs and up stairs is all tile. Love it way better than dealing with the carpet I had in my apartment.