The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best flooring for home with dog(s)...

We put down tile everywhere (except in the kitchen, which was already hardwood.) Best decision we ever made. Easy to sweep, and impervious to spills and the accidents that go with a new puppy. We were careful about picking a tile that wasn't too slippery.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Here is what we have. Nearly indestructible.

http://www.floridatile.com/products/berkshire
    Where in Illinois did you get this from since it's a Florida company? It looks perfect!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Jamie

Purchased the tile at Buck's Decorating in Godfrey, IL. Had it installed on the entire first floor. It really does look like hardwood and has some texture to it so it's not slippery. I'm sure some carpet/tile store your way carries it or could order it for you.

Looking forward to getting back to training with you, Dennis and others. I'm the guy from Jerseyville that came down and threw birds while waiting for my Slider pup. He's coming along nicely. Almost ready for pile work.

I installed Home Depot's Allure Ultra sawcut dakota resilient vinyl planks about 8 months ago in my entire house. It is very easy to install and seems to be very durable so far. I have two large dogs who stay in the house and they have not left a mark yet. It is completely waterproof -don't ask me how I know this is true... The fake wood vinyl is embossed with ridges which I find make it less slippery for the dogs.
    CH Fireweed's Major League Player (Player)***
    Red Dirt's Del Mar Grande MH (Marlin)***
    SHR Cruzan Captain Nemo JH 10/29/2003 -11/16/2009
    http://www.christinajanderson.com

Thanks all for your comments. I know how I'm going to spend today ... Checking out flooring and prices.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Here is what we have. Nearly indestructible.

http://www.floridatile.com/products/berkshire
    Nice, but expensive????

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Nice, but expensive????
    Miles Distributors published their suggested retail price list as $8.43 sq. ft.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

We have laminated hardwood in this house, we had tile in our other house, the wood is much easier and it's not as cold as tile, important if you live where there's cool/cold winter temps, unless you can afford in-floor heating. Got tired of the stained/traffic stained grout, also if you're on your feet a lot in the kitchen, it's hard on the back/legs after awhile. Our living room and bedrooms are carpet.

I personally wouldn't put a wire crate, or plastic crate for that matter, directly on any kind of flooring. I always use an area rug underneath, I can hose it off or throw it out if it's torn. For those of you with the chewers and with no choice but to put it on your carpet, I'd get a piece of plywood, melamine or something similar underneath cut with a 3-4" border to set it on, you could paint it or look at the hardware store for something w/ a decent looking finish. You can zip tie it down in the center if you have to.
    Last edited by Rhenee Fadling; 11-09-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: not enough coffee
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Tile and laminate here.

In the meantime, how about getting a different crate? Heavy plastic (not the cheapo Remintons) Maybe a ruff-tuff? Something that has a good, solid floor? Or set the wire crate on a piece of plywood that's larger all the way around than the crate?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I just put new flooring all throughout the main level of my house. I had carpet and laminate prior to that. The laminate was not good for the older dogs, too slippery, although it looked very nice.

After considering about every flooring option under the sun, I put gauged black slate in a large format versailles pattern throughout, with the exception of the library/study where I had hardwood (hickory) planks installed.

The slate has a natural finish (ie not honed) so it's not slick, and has a little bit of traction too. But it's not so 'natural' that it's 'trippy'. The dark charcoal color of the slate complements the black labrador fur tumbleweeds very well....lol.

(Florida Tile is a large tile company, you should be able to find it just about anywhere. There are a lot of tile companies that now have the 'wood plank' look in ceramic/porcelain tile. Some of it looks very cool. A good tile/flooring store should have a number of options in this style, it's very 'in' right now.)

Happy shopping. If there is The Tile Shop (www.tileshop.com) in your area, check that out. They have a wide variety of stone, ceramic and porcelain products on display, it will give you an idea of what's available. They also have decent sales quite frequently.