The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping at heel

Default Stopping at heel

Having a little problem with my pup coming back on the return from a mark running a foot or two pass me then heeling instead of directly at heel. Its not a big problem but I don't like it. He's running full speed and don't slow down till about a foot away then ends up a foot or so past then heels up fine. Is there away to correct this without nit picking? I've worked with bumper in mouth and sit him in front of me then command heel and he does just fine. I think it's just that he's not slowing down soon enough when he comes in.

Get in his way, or hold a heeling stick out. Make comming to heel his only option
    Cut 'em

Quote Originally Posted by GooseDog View Post
    Get in his way, or hold a heeling stick out. Make comming to heel his only option
    Second that.

If he knows "Sit," tell him to sit when he is about 10 feet out. It should slow him down enough to re-direct him.

Meredith

How old is your pup?

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    How old is your pup?
    That would be the best first question
    Coppertop's Captain Kirk CD MH WCX CCA VC (2004-2011) (Kirk)
    Gaylan's Roddenberry a la Mode SH WCX CCA (Kira)
    Top Flight's Cayuga Klingon SH, WC. (Worf)
    Coppertop's Trill of a Lifetime (in training) (Dax)

6 months. He does it 80 percent of the time so want to get it under control now. Only time he don't is when hes tired out and not moving as fast on the return.

Stand on a fence or hedge row so that your pup has no room to go past you. It'll help some, along w/ the other advice.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLattuca View Post
    6 months. He does it 80 percent of the time so want to get it under control now. Only time he don't is when hes tired out and not moving as fast on the return.
    He is ready for formal OB. Two suggestions....First to have a barrack behind you to prevent your pup from going back behind you. The other is once formal OB starts and your dog is on the after burners coming back, stop your pup with a whistle sit in front of you and then heal your pup. It gets better after they understand and no longer needs the whistle sit in front of you. You could also use a check cord provided, but they can be a burdened if not done right.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    He is ready for formal OB. Two suggestions....First to have a barrack behind you to prevent your pup from going back behind you. The other is once formal OB starts and your dog is on the after burners coming back, stop your pup with a whistle sit in front of you and then heal your pup. It gets better after they understand and no longer needs the whistle sit in front of you. You could also use a check cord provided, but they can be a burdened if not done right.
    Going to try to put something behind me. The pup has been through ob, ff, cc, and ftp, where working on pile work now. I started early with this pup because he showed so much interest and has been a blessing to train. I also do a few days of ob training with him a week to keep my standards high with him. Thanks for your input Ill give this a shot and make it become a habit.
    Last edited by TonyLattuca; 11-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.