The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega RG Clear Special w/pea vs Orange and Black Special w/pea

Default Mega RG Clear Special w/pea vs Orange and Black Special w/pea

All I can tell is that one has an orange mouth piece, the other has a clear mouth piece. The orange one is cheaper---$7.95 vs. $6.95 at Gundogsupply.com.

Are there functional differences between them? Anyone know?

vs.

Thanks!
    Renee P

I'm not sure what the difference is but I have had both and the clear one seemed to be a little higher pitched. I preferred the orange one until I started using the Answer.

I just found this on the Dogs Afield website:

"The Competition Clear is the same as the Special Orange but made of durable, longer lasting Lexan."

I wonder if this difference in materials is the cause of the tone difference you noticed.
    Renee P

I have one of each and have had them for 15 years - can't tell them apart and use which ever one I pickup.

go pealess, you should.
    winter is at the sill.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Renee, at the Rorem seminar I asked Dave what the difference was. He said clear has a pea and orange doesn't. He prefers the pea. I told him I had an orange one with the pea. He just said it must be a really old one

I have one of each, the clear one has a higher pitch and a lightweight aircraft aluminum shroud, I have to concentrate just a little but more and throw the air from deep in the diaphragm to get the best results

the orange one is easier to use but doesnt have the downrange capability, and is very hard on the ears YMMV

All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The clear ones last a lot longer.

I bought a bunch of the clear whistles, took the peas out, and put them in my old black megaphones. Orange ones used to last about a year, clear - a LOT longer.

I experimented with plastic beads for "peas" years ago, thinking that might make a "good pea." Low volume with a pea is probably better, but I got tired of fussing with them.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 11-09-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: good pea

The clear RG was an upgrade over the orange RG about 30 +/- years ago. For whatever reason the clear whistle has a crisper sound. The secret to a superior whistle is the pea. You usually got one or two good whistles out of a dozen. Pat Burns taught me that when you had a good whistle you could remove the pea and put it in one of the not so good ones and like magic another superior whistle. The first Mega whistles were an orange RG in a black mega body, they were kind of dorky and users were prone to be made fun of. Once I discovered the orange pea less mega whistle I cannot imagine going back to a whistle with a pea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Renee, at the Rorem seminar I asked Dave what the difference was. He said clear has a pea and orange doesn't. He prefers the pea. I told him I had an orange one with the pea. He just said it must be a really old one
    Do you suppose he thought you were asking about "The Answer"? This one is pea-less:

Renee P