The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega RG Clear Special w/pea vs Orange and Black Special w/pea

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The clear RG was an upgrade over the orange RG about 30 +/- years ago. For whatever reason the clear whistle has a crisper sound. The secret to a superior whistle is the pea. You usually got one or two good whistles out of a dozen. Pat Burns taught me that when you had a good whistle you could remove the pea and put it in one of the not so good ones and like magic another superior whistle. The first Mega whistles were an orange RG in a black mega body, they were kind of dorky and users were prone to be made fun of. Once I discovered the orange pea less mega whistle I cannot imagine going back to a whistle with a pea.
    I don't think I can tell the difference between a good pea and bad pea.

Rorem says that peas have gotten worse. Nowadays less than 1 out of 30 new whistles has a good pea, so most likely neither of my two mega whistles is any good.
    Last edited by mitty; 11-09-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Aren't we all supposed to try to be the good pea?

When I did only HTs, I always liked the ones with a pea and kept two on the lanyard in case one froze up. I was always able to convey more with the pea. Running FTs with a fast dog, I need to be able to reach out and tap them, so I use the Burns Green monster. It isn't as good close up, but when you need to stop them at distance in heavy wind or something it gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post

Nope,
    Not gonna do it,
    too easy
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin