The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You May Now

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    call me Mr Councilman - I'm ahead far enough that if all the remaining votes went to the incumbent I would still win. I presently have 55% of the vote.

I ran a campaign focused on the spending - the Mayor & several councilmembers, all long time residents in the city, publicly opposed me. I stayed away from the personal stuff, focusing only on the high wages being paid.

I ran because the city was not responding to their residents. IMO staying focused on the spending won the race. There are lots of issues, a budget coming up the night I am sworn in which I plan to propose many amendments, & a Parks & Trails plan crafted with public input which they choose to ignore. It should be entertaining, small town politics if no different tha DC politics, just more out of sight .
    Well done Mr. Councilman!!!!

Stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 11-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Congratulations Mr Councilman! For once a clean campaign and a winner too!
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Congrats Marvin! You now are "the government".
    I've had a lot of phone calls today & a couple of folks whose opinion I value very much are certain I can show people what government is supposed to do. I'll give a report in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    congratulations mr. councilman!!!!! we are proud of you marvin!

can i be considered a crony and submit a contract and provide a kickback?
    I have refused all donations though there were offers. A clean slate makes it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Congratulations Marvin.......when you become as unpopular (in some circles) as Phoenix Councilman Sal DiCiccio, I WILL buy you that steak dinner. He has gone after "Pension Spiking" in a big way. Some/many former City of Phoenix employees are walking away with lifetime pensions, greater then they were paid as employees. Quite the gig.
    I still owe you a dinner from my days of over optimism. Which AZ team do you follow?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Well done Mr. Councilman!!!!

Stan b
    I expected to hear from you though it is quite a step down from being VP on the RK ticket .

A couple of years ago there was a LTTE in the local paper about natural gas companies. Our little city, the city next door & Ellensburg are the only municipal NG companies in the state. When the article pointed out that the citizens in Buckley proper (we're in Buckley's dogpatch) were paying 50% more per therm for their gas than any one including the Puget Sound Energy customers I asked why we still continued to own the company. After much foot dragging the company was put out to bid.

The thought was the city might get $200K to 400K for the company plus having carried reserves of close to a million. The bid for the gas company came in at $5.4 mil, & the voters agreed to sell by a 87% yes vote leaving the city with $6.5 mil. If you want to hear & see some scrambling by the administration to get their hands on that money while professing to want it in a lock box (like Social Security). It's actually quite comical. As I told the City Administrator & our spend thrift mayor the money will be a target. One of the callers today said he is sorry he will miss the fireworks when the mayor & I tangle over the windfall. She wants to put it in a savings account & use the interest (as if there will be any). That is after doling out about 750K to the special interests for starters .

The neat thing is - with the sale of the gas company everyone's city utility bill will be about 40% of what it was - guess who is the new guy on the council & who raised cane about the spending - good old yours truly - so who do you think will get the undeserved credit for those smaller utility bills in many peoples minds? I think it rather humorous as this mayor has spent considerable political capital to keep me off her rubber stamp council only to have me get on at the most opportune time .

I'm a Boeing guy with also many years in mine management - Most of these people have never worked for a big company with high expectations. It's going to be interesting when they are faced with those expectations even though the council's function is to make policy & control the purse strings, which I know how to do.

All for now but thanks for the well wishes. Our sons, DIL's & the grandkids think it is neat, they have been more concerned than me about the race. One of the DIL's sent me the Churchill quote.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

It's going to be fun to follow your exploits with the mayor
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Done and DONE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I still owe you a dinner from my days of over optimism. Which AZ team do you follow?

Oooooh......that hurt....... How could you not remember I'm a bleed Maroon and Gold Devil? Does anyone really support Northern Nogales Tech? That would be akin to me asking, "Hey Marv.....How are things in downtown Pullman?"

Now that you're in for the big paydays......we may just have too raise that to two dinners for that faux pas.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Oooooh......that hurt....... How could you not remember I'm a bleed Maroon and Gold Devil? Does anyone really support Northern Nogales Tech? That would be akin to me asking, "Hey Marv.....How are things in downtown Pullman?"

Now that you're in for the big paydays......we may just have too raise that to two dinners for that faux pas.
    Sorry about that, you may console yourself with the fact you guys have a pretty good team in a tough conference. Using the Coug's to needle won't get it, I used to laugh when Walden coached teams routinely beat the Huskies during the James years. I finished my degree at UW only because they had one of the few programs that did not want me to repeat classes I had already taken.

Did go to a Husky BB game the other night, a 1st since Romar became the coach 9 or so years ago. We aren't going to beat many good teams in BB, if any, so if we beat your guys you've got a really bad team .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!