The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting my dog

Default hunting my dog

Heard mixed feelings. Hunt or not to hunt. I don't want to create bad habits while hunting. I just finished my hr title and in spring I want to get her hrch title. My feeling is hunt her that's what they were breed for. What u guys think?
    Proverbs 3:5-6

how else will she earn her kibble?
    we test, to hunt
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I'm a serious field trailer, I invest more time and money in training, traveling, time off work and entry fees than you can imagine, but I take three months off every Fall to hunt my dogs. That's why I wanted a well trained dog to start with.

Do u guys see any habits that your dog has picked up that is tough to fix after hunting season?

they bounce celling high when ever you pick up a shotgun and stand on your chest and drool on your face at 4 am on the odd day you want to sleep in.
    other than that it is just another training day to them. you set the standards.

OH.... a young dog yes?
    do not forget your chunk of rope, and rocks are less expensive than live shot gun shells, when you need something to toss to make a splash.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thx. The drool thing sold me on it. I've had hunting dogs but I've never had a test/hunting dog so I didn't know what to expect. Lol

A test judge told me “take my advice – Don’t hunt that dog for at least a year. He has too much drive and power and will pick up bad habits that will be hard to break” –
    He may very well have been correct (the jerk) but IMO – Not hunting for a year is not an option, and hunting without the dog is pointless..

Quote Originally Posted by slick phillie View Post
    Do u guys see any habits that your dog has picked up that is tough to fix after hunting season?
    I`m assuming delivery has been taught and will do a fairly decent single (with birds of course),has been shot over (shot flyer from side)and has been taught to sit (steady),not to mention his obedience has been taught.Then I see no reason not to hunt him.The only habit he will have is the one you allow.Good luck!!!!Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Unless your dog is accustomed to live rounds coming from numerous guns WAIT! I personally know a great young dog with a seasoned title that was hunted over the first time and now the owner has a huge problem to try and correct. Firing poppers at a hunt test in no way recreates live fire in a pit or blind. It can and does frighten some young dogs. If you do decide to hunt your dog now leave your gun cased the first couple times and concentrate on handling your buddy. Anyways that's my two cents. Good luck to you both.

Yes - your dog will pick up some undesirable behavior and beliefs. But do it anyway.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon