The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Call for my Boys

Default Beginner Call for my Boys

I hunted years ago with my Dad before he passed away and want to do the same with my boys. We have a few holes around home that holds woodies. I know we don't need calls for these local woodies but my boys are wanting a call. Next year, I hope to have the boat and dog ready for some different style hunts and who knows, with a year to practice, maybe a few kiddos that can call in some birds. Anyway, after some research, I'm leaning towards the Haydel DR 85. Any other suggestions? Also, any dvd or video links for them to study?

My 10 year old daughter has a buck gardner buck nasty Its a double reed and easy for her blow and learn the right way with his instructional cd.

Thanks Hawker!! I'll check it out as well. Not sure it matters but my boys are 12 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    I hunted years ago with my Dad before he passed away and want to do the same with my boys. We have a few holes around home that holds woodies. I know we don't need calls for these local woodies but my boys are wanting a call. Next year, I hope to have the boat and dog ready for some different style hunts and who knows, with a year to practice, maybe a few kiddos that can call in some birds. Anyway, after some research, I'm leaning towards the Haydel DR 85. Any other suggestions? Also, any dvd or video links for them to study
    ?
    I would start here om You Tube and watch the entire line of RNT videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjMeI7i_Lo

You might also want to purchase the three CD set made by RNT but a caution, listening to them in your truck will get you the funniest looks from people and may get on your nerves...Primos also makes a good DVD instructional set
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The buck gardner double nasty call sounds awesome and is inexpensive. Very good beginner call and comes with and easy to use instructional dvd. I actually still keep the call on my lanyard along with my RNT and Banded calls. Sounds great and works good for smaller timber holes. Can pick them up at bass pro or cabelas, macks carries them also I believe.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Check the cabelas website in the bargain cave. There are some gardner double nastys on clearance at the moment.

And I agree with the others, they would be good beginner calls.

Thanks for the replies and thanks Sniper for the heads up. I'll check it out shortly.

I have a lanyard full of calls they can mess with WHEN you invite me on one of those hunts!
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

I don't know the age of your boys but I took my son to a duck calling contest when he was 8 he won it and he continued on till he turned 18 then school and job took over. but in those years we went to many contests and met a lot of nice people he still keeps in contact with kids he called with years ago. also where are you located if your close I might be able to help you out with a Mississippi river hunt. it has sucked so far but they should be coming down soon
    Last edited by pat addis; 11-11-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added to