The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun buying conundrum

get a gun that comes up easy!! If you have to work at getting it to your shoulder you won't like it, don't forget you will be wearing a bunch of clothes in the field too
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

My opinion would be to go with the "heavier" 870 Express Magnum. As others have stated, the versatility of changeable chokes is a good benefit. The extra weight will help tame the recoil of heavier loads that are often associated with waterfowl hunting. And, if you need any adjustments or work done on it, I know of an armorer that can work on it for you when you come the Kansas City HRC test (he exchanges work for cheap booze). Hope this helps
    Chris Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6Bulls View Post
    Depends what you are hunting. If you are planning to hunt ducks and geese, gun 1 wont do. I would go with your gut.
    Depends; I used a 2 3/4" 12ga 870 TB from 1968 - 1994 for duck and goose. Now I have a 3" but I shoot 2-3/4" about half the time. My hunting buddy shoots a 20 ga. We mostly shoot devoting bird, but some passing shots out to 40-45 yards.

Any good friends you could get a loaner from, guns tend to be like oatmeal-raisin cookies, can't just have one. Might let you figure out what you really want vs what you think you want. My back up gun is a Ted Willams, older than me but still goes bang!

Firehouselabs

Your Express gun has a shorter stock if I am not mistaken. Check the stock specs. Shorter by 1/4 inch? Also, the wood I believe may be different, not walnut. Translation: Different balance in the gun. I don't know what your shooting skills are like but my thoughts are like John Robinson's thoughts. And there is nothing wrong with fixed chokes. In fact, I prefer fixed chokes for a lot of reasons.

I own two 870's. The older one is 28" modified which I ordered from Remington over 30 years ago, the factory barrel was 30" but I had Remington cut it. The gun is called 870 Magnum, chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. My preference is 2 3/4 inch. My opinion: If you want dead birds, make head shots. You do that and you won't need 3" shells. Besides, shooting 3" shells will lead to you developing a flinch which you don't need.

My opinion on Mossberg: I shoot a Mossberg 835 ultimag. The Mossberg 500 gun is built to military specs and I expect the same quality in the 835. Like any pump gun I had to break it in. Once you break it in, everything goes smoother. The action on my old 870 is like butter but it didn't come like that. And who cares about the sound of the pump. The shot travels faster than the sound.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 11-09-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Anybody that shoots 3.5" 12 ga shells twice from a fixed breech shotgun, is completely nuts.

They probably got brain damage the first time.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 11-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.

BTW, since nobody else mentioned it, you can't shoot steel shot through an old fixed choke barrel.

It will permanently bulge a ring in the barrel.

I'd advise that you get a gas-operated auto like a Remington 1100, 11-87, or Beretta 390/3901.

I don't know about that, copterdoc. I have only shot steel through my gun and it has no barrel bulge. I have a modified choke and the gun I believe was marketed as a waterfowl gun, hence the 30" barrel and I think there was a 32" option. I bought that gun the year that steel shot became mandatory for use in the section of Great south Bay that I was shooting.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I didn't just make it up. It's common knowledge that you don't shoot steel shot through old fixed choke barrels.
    If you got away with it,,,,,,,,,, great.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/steel_shot.htm

It's refreshing to say the least to not have to deal with a what program do you use on RTF, but, shotgun related to a Remington 870 opinion. OK here is my opinion on the Remington 870 12 gauge. My background with this particular shotgun. As former police officer and a patrol Sgt. for a few years the standard shotgun was a Remington 870 12 gauge 18 inch bbl with a 2 and 3/4 chamber. We shot clay birds for practice with number 8 lead for gaining confidence and of course loaded with 00 for duty work. Occasionaly we would use 00 or 0 buckshot for combat practice too. I had several women under my command and they had no issues with shooting the 870. It can be broken down with ease for cleaning etc. Short bbl did produce some muzzle blast but the low base #8's helped alleviate any flinching problems.

Moving on to the hunting issues. I purchased my first 870 Wingmaster Modified choke 12 gauge in 1968 new for I think $85? I shot Trap, (tight modified) several deer with a slug bbl and who knows how many ducks, grouse, woodcock, geese, doves barn pigeons and flyers at field trials. The slide is white with wear. Still own it and still shoot it. Later I bought a slightly used 870 with a IC bbl. Again shot so many flyers at field trials and training can't count them. It is in my truck now and used it just last week for ducks hunting over decoys #4 steel IC and shot doves earlier in the season #8's. Sitting next to it in a case is also my Browning Magnus 12 gauge all pretty etc and sometimes is next to my 390 Silver Mallard or my 12 gauge Citori. I bought the IC bbl on e-bay for about 75 bucks and use it also on phesants . I find myself using my Remington 870's more then my "pretty guns" oh yeah I am a member of a gun club too.. Now there is some fellows at the gun club who called themselves the "old Geezers" they have killed locally last count 157 geese 49 ducks between the six of them. The best shot I saw was a bonified 70 yards shot using a 10 gauge by the holder of several state Wisconsin skeet championships. MOSTLY however thier shots over decoys are 25 to 30 yards or less. In fact one of the guys has a very fine QAA retriever we three own and have trained, leaves the dog in the truck sometimes because the retrieves are too short. His choice not mine I always take my dogs. So a 2 and 3/4 steel shot Nos two, one or even BBs highbase will do the trick, in my opinion on geese and certainly except for severe pass shooting will get you all the birds you can shoot, if you can hit them. OK, now lets bring up the hitting them, buy a case of 12 gauge loads, go to the local trap, sporting clays or use a hand held thrower and practice with the case of no. 8's. I buy my cases for about $67. bucks.

My advice buy number 1 and never look back as you can check around down the road for a extra bbl. Stocks can be adjusted, might not look pretty but can be adjusted.
    Earl Dillow