The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun buying conundrum

I'd go with #2 if it has to be one of those two guns only. Barrel weight may feel heavier to start, but it smooths out your swing once you get used to it. The stock can be cut down or replaced to fit.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I'm sorry but the gun is not an older fixed choke gun as described in Chuck Hawk's article. The gun is a waterfowl gun that came on the market with the advent of steel shot and the barrel was designed to shoot the steel. I believe that Chuck Hawks is describing the gun barrels of guns that are pre steel shot.

Also, the receiver of my gun is stamped 3" Magnum, something I don't think you find on other 870's. This is a waterfowl gun, this is not the standard model 870. I believe I bought it the first year it was out.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 11-09-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post

Gun A:

Pros: Lighter, shorter reach which is VERY comfortable for me, gun really seems to fit and seems to be very balanced (female, shorter arms, smaller hands) and my soon to be 10 yr old son will also be using the gun in the near future…hopefully! This gun is also $50 cheaper than the other,!
    buy gun A now. the fit is important. it will kill something for you this season if nothing more than time, in the field and marsh with family and friends.
    I think B is the better gun. But that is not the point. You do not need the 1/4 second hesitation while shouldering a gun to worry if it will come up smooth.
    buy gun A now, pick up some shells with the $50 you saved and have fun. shinny is fine, 2 3/4 shells are fine, fixed choke is fine. just get in the field and hunt.
    and NEXT year save up for gun B or one like. it is the better gun, your brain is right saying buy, buy, buy.
    BUT!!!!! that same brain needs the confidance of a gun that fits you more better than the other.

A is the choice, today! Go Buy it now!!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    buy gun A now. the fit is important. ... A is the choice...
    Ken's right and if you need extra power, instead of 3&1/2 in steel (that kicks like a mule), get some Hevishot.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    I'm sorry but the gun is not an older fixed choke gun as described in Chuck Hawk's article. The gun is a waterfowl gun that came on the market with the advent of steel shot and the barrel was designed to shoot the steel. I believe that Chuck Hawks is describing the gun barrels of guns that are pre steel shot.

Also, the receiver of my gun is stamped 3" Magnum, something I don't think you find on other 870's. This is a waterfowl gun, this is not the standard model 870. I believe I bought it the first year it was out.
    Magnum just meant chambered to 3". The word Steel on the barrel should indicate steel.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Ken's right and if you need extra power, instead of 3&1/2 in steel (that kicks like a mule), get some Hevishot.
    I'm confused. If gun A (the old 870) is indeed pre-steel (which the price might reflect that) why would that be the choice? Because you can run hevi-shot at 3 bucks a shell through it?

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I'm confused. ... why would that be the choice? ?
    it fits her.
    better to get a shot off, on targer with limited shot choice
    than no shot off at all because gun is stuck in armpit or poofy coat.
    gun A fits.
    gun B cumbersome.
    this ain't rocket surgery
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

BTW ducks die just fine with 2 3/4 kent #4's or any similar on sale department store rounds.
    a lot of shotgun shells are just like fishing lures, and you know what they say about fishing lures???

Banned

would you be interested in an Ithaca 37? my buddy collects them like a bad habit and he has some sweet pre-war guns

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    it fits her.
    better to get a shot off, on targer with limited shot choice
    than no shot off at all because gun is stuck in armpit or poofy coat.
    gun A fits.
    gun B cumbersome.
    this ain't rocket surgery
    I'm all about fit but given the current financial restrictions I'd not spend money on a cash eater. But the again - I wouldn't buy either of those choices labeled A and B.

Home printers taught me that lesson. Printer is $75.00 and a years worth of ink is $2K.