The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun buying conundrum

how is it a cash eater?
    my turn in the confusion barrel
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

only on the RTF can a simple Q: on buying a gun turn into a three page event
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Buy a gun that fits (and can take steel shot).

Your boy is going to need a smaller gun as well.

You will have more fun if you hit stuff. You are more likely to hit stuff with a gun that fits.

I'm clueless about guns, but I do use them and have experience with trying to use one that was too big.
    Last edited by mitty; 11-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    Renee P

Listen to guys like Ken Bora and Earl Dillow, they have shot a lot of ducks and are way beyond the latest marketing fad. Re steel shot, any modern ( post Damascus 1900 or newer) barrel that is choked modified- imp cyl will work. I like screw in chokes, but I have to say I haven't switched out the modified choke I screwed in my 870 twenty years ago.

I could write a book about this, but to keep it short, I have three 870s, a 20 ga, that mid sixties trap grade with two barrels, and a 3" magnum I inherited from my dad ten years ago. I mostly shoot my over under, but wouldn't feel handicapped with a 2-3/4" 870 12 ga. Get the one that fits best, you will kill a lot more birds hitting them solidly with 1-18 oz of shot out of a 2-3/4" rather than missing with a 3" magnum.

If you go with gun 2, I have a couple of shorter stocks I will give you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    how is it a cash eater?
    my turn in the confusion barrel
    Well - it may really still be me. Has the OP answered the question about the date of the gun and it's ability to run steel? If so I missed it.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

I did not give the date of the gun nor whether or not it could take steel shot. My bad, I didn't ask while at the gun store! But it is something to ask when I go back! Major cold front coming through tonight, hopefully bringing in some birds! Either that or I will have to migrate south with them The owners of the gun store were in Austin TX over the weekend at a gun show, buying more guns. They may have brought back some more guns that will fit my needs/budget. THANKS for all of the input!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Well - it may really still be me. Has the OP answered the question about the date of the gun and it's ability to run steel? If so I missed it.
    Since they didn't introduce the 870 until 1949 or so, he's good to go unless it's a full choke. I have opened my full choke Model 12 to modified, it was built in the 40's and I shoot steel with my gunsmith's blessing, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    I did not give the date of the gun nor whether or not it could take steel shot. My bad, I didn't ask while at the gun store! But it is something to ask when I go back! Major cold front coming through tonight, hopefully bringing in some birds! Either that or I will have to migrate south with them The owners of the gun store were in Austin TX over the weekend at a gun show, buying more guns. They may have brought back some more guns that will fit my needs/budget. THANKS for all of the input!
    FWIW - if it is an 80's 870 and runs steel you're good. IMO - and IC or IMP/MOD is better than MOD for ducks but in any event - an inexpensively used 870 of that era is 5x the gun of a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Since they didn't introduce the 870 until 1949 or so, he's good to go unless it's a full choke. I have opened my full choke Model 12 to modified, it was built in the 40's and I shoot steel with my gunsmith's blessing, all the time.
    I wouldn't but you're welcome to.