The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Duck Hunting

Find someone who knows what they are doing and go with them... experience is the best way to learn to hunt...

I'm from Michigan also, I will shoot you a PM with my phone number. Then we can talk, lot easier than an email. Michigan has some wonderful opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    And whatever you do - don't tell anyone else.
    This is one of the main reason duck hunters are declining. We are the rudest, greediest hunters out there. I've taken a lot of people hunting in private ground only to have them start leasing it when I had permission or get permission the following year before me. I am very very careful of who I invite anymore and I hate that. I really enjoy meeting and hunting with new people and developing friendships.

I would look at a public lands atlas and check them out from google earth to help eliminate ground. You can never scout too much. I have scouted more than I've hunted this year, I've had some nice hunts, but a lot of birds are here today, gone tomorrow. But what one duck likes, another one will like. Someone said each small win you learn something, they are exactly right. I taught myself starting at age 14, I hunt public 80% of the time, it's not always easy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    This is one of the main reason duck hunters are declining. We are the rudest, greediest hunters out there. I've taken a lot of people hunting in private ground only to have them start leasing it when I had permission or get permission the following year before me. I am very very careful of who I invite anymore and I hate that. I really enjoy meeting and hunting with new people and developing friendships. .
    It's all about effort. It's either there or it's not and it's usually not. And when it isn't...count on Joe buddy to only hunt the holes you show him. Been there too many times. I don't need help shooting them.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Keep your calls in your truck and practice every sec you can!! I would not take em to the field till you sound like what you are hearing on DVD (and someone else tells you that) you will have more success not calling then bad calling!! And enjoy its fun

Find out where the closest MDHA (MI duck hunters assn) is and hang out there. Where exactly in MI are you? PM if it is too personal. I might be able to put you on some spots and people if you are in the right area.
    Before you start float hunting find out that in MI the ducks belong to the land owner so you don't want to be trespassing. There are also state managed areas that can be a good place to start.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Find out where the closest MDHA (MI duck hunters assn) is and hang out there. Where exactly in MI are you? PM if it is too personal. I might be able to put you on some spots and people if you are in the right area.
    Before you start float hunting find out that in MI the ducks belong to the land owner so you don't want to be trespassing. There are also state managed areas that can be a good place to start.
    As for the managed areas I'd stay away from Point Mouille. I'm getting sick of the skybusting and bad calling and my calling ain't that great. If your close enough I'd go to Harsens Island or Shiawasee manged area.

Go to Michigan dnr and look under the managed game areas. For the record they all have bingo areas, which is where you're assigned a number. The person whose number is chosen first gets first choice of area to hunt. Don't be afraid to go by yourself. Ask the people at the unit which spots are walk in. My experience is that the people at the stations are nice and will give you lots of info. They WILL NOT tell you which zone to pick.

Buy or build a dog stand to get fido out of the water because it's usually a flooded field with dike systems and you can't hunt from the dikes. Oh, and you'll need waders which if you've run HRC you probably have already. If you don't have waders I don't think you'll be able to hunt too many spots in the managed areas. If you decide to get waders and you have the money for the love of God get breathables. I've got 5mm neoprene and i sweat like crazy on the walk in. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions, but i only starte doing this 3 years ago.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Book some hunts with local guides so you can see how it all works. Ask lots of questions and be forthecoming about why you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Book some hunts with local guides so you can see how it all works. Ask lots of questions and be forthecoming about why you're asking.
    That's a good idea. Albeit perhaps a lure into the unrealistic state, a good idea nonetheless! I'm guessing an invite to the guy with the boat and big spread on the OP's dime might get a reciprocal.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this post, crazy work week. I got a question about scouting. I have two spots where I have seen ducks in the past on happen stance. I assume that they will be my best bets for developing right away. When I go to scout is there certain time of day I should go or month of the year. I assume that scouting now might not be the best because season is coming to a close and next summer they will not have started migrating yet. So when is the best time to scout and what time of day ought I be doing it. Also would it be good to scout spots for the fall when they are migrating back North in the spring?
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."